Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD @ Computex 2022 Talks Up Ryzen 7000 Series, Announces Mendocino Budget Laptop APUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• billyswong
    replied
    Originally posted by l8gravely View Post

Billyswong,
    That's a great idea! Thanks for the pointers. It's been years since I bought a motherboard and I'm totally ignorant of the USB3.x expansion ports and cabling issues. My case is a CoolerMaster Centurion 534, and looking at it more closely, I think I might be able to pull out the bottom USB2.0/audio/firewire connector block and replace it with something else. Here's a link https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-...82E16811119106 to what I have. Time to sit down and pull apart the case to see what would fit there.

Thanks!
    John
    That connector block looks a tiny bit smaller than the 3.5 inch slot above. It might be swappable by the maker at the time the case was still selling, but I don't think you can find any replacement on the market today.

Leave a comment:

• l8gravely
    replied
    Originally posted by billyswong View Post

Strange that you decide to go with that Startech USB3 panel, and leave the USB3 front panel header in your motherboard to waste, as its gallery in Startech looks like they don't provide a cable to internal header on motherboard.

I took a 2nd look at your X570 Taichi motherboard and found there is also a USB-C header. Maybe you could try a front panel like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-IC...dp/B07F23JL3H/ to fully utilize your motherboard potential and the 10Gbps speed in case you get in touch with such speedy devices.

p.s. If I were to buy USB3 port expansion that connect with the rear ports, I would not buy it in the form factor of front panel, as there are plenty of normal USB3 hubs in the market for one to plug and play.
    Billyswong,
    That's a great idea! Thanks for the pointers. It's been years since I bought a motherboard and I'm totally ignorant of the USB3.x expansion ports and cabling issues. My case is a CoolerMaster Centurion 534, and looking at it more closely, I think I might be able to pull out the bottom USB2.0/audio/firewire connector block and replace it with something else. Here's a link https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-...82E16811119106 to what I have. Time to sit down and pull apart the case to see what would fit there.

Thanks!
    John

Leave a comment:

• billyswong
    replied

I looked at both of those motherboards, but their expansion room is limited, and I don't *need* a bunch of serial ports really. It would just be nice to have. And I could go with a PCIe to PCI adapter if need be. Probably won't, but I'll keep it in mind.

And I do think the startech USB3 port expansion is what I'll go with, since it's quick and simple and the new motherboard will have USB3 ports all over the back.
    Strange that you decide to go with that Startech USB3 panel, and leave the USB3 front panel header in your motherboard to waste, as its gallery in Startech looks like they don't provide a cable to internal header on motherboard.

I took a 2nd look at your X570 Taichi motherboard and found there is also a USB-C header. Maybe you could try a front panel like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-IC...dp/B07F23JL3H/ to fully utilize your motherboard potential and the 10Gbps speed in case you get in touch with such speedy devices.

p.s. If I were to buy USB3 port expansion that connect with the rear ports, I would not buy it in the form factor of front panel, as there are plenty of normal USB3 hubs in the market for one to plug and play.
    Last edited by billyswong; 27 May 2022, 06:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• l8gravely
    replied
    Originally posted by Anux View Post
    It all depends what workload you have and what you plan to do in the future. I would guess that you gonna run that system for at least 10 years. I recommend that you find your bottlenecks first before throwing money at the wrong place. Is single core important or multicore? Or is the CPU actually enough but you need more RAM?

6 cores would be the lower limit for me even if your phenom is enough right now. And there is no better deal than the AMD Ryzen 5 5500, in germany its 150 €. Ryzen 5 3600 would also be good if you get it under 100 € (maybe used?).

I would definitly go for a used high end mother board, they will be ass cheap as soon as AM5 gets in the market. You also could get a high end Ryzen 5000 in 2 years and start with the cheapest AM4 option for now.

The Ryzen 5000 8-core chips are not so good in terms of price/performance (there are even better 12 core deals). Ryzen 7 5700X for around 300 € would be your best bet there. And I wouldn't put a G-APU in a server unless you plan to use the gpu for transcoding/streaming. BTW the 4700G is 100 € cheaper than the 5700G (Zen 2 vs Zen 3 and 200 MHz difference).

My Phenom 2 Server has still more performance than I need with just 8 GB RAM. But its a file/backup server with LUKS and some nextcloud testing, also only single digit users at any time.

Edit:

This looks like a fake raid card (no cache, no battery), you would be better off with mdadm.
    And like someone else mentioned, using a G-APU would limit you to PCIe 3.0 and not so many lanes.

The biggest performance upgrade for my old phenom server were super cheap Samsung SSDs and you probably don't want to limit yourself to SATA for the next 10 years.

I've already got a pair of SSDs for my boot/OS drives and cache. And while the LSI is a true RAID card, I'm actually running the JBOD version of the firmware and using it with LVM to run a bunch of disks in RAID1 pairs (or even a triple for my important data. I currently have an old AMD 4650 video card in there, but since it's purely a home server for NFS volumes and VMs, it's more important that I have plenty of SATA ports, memory and cpu. I don't need anything at all for graphics, unless I want to do some sort of pass through to a docker image running PhotoPrism to help sort photos.

Thanks for all the comments, really helpful!

Leave a comment:

• l8gravely
    replied
    Originally posted by billyswong View Post

If l8gravely is buying new motherboard, a simpler front panel that plug into motherboard looks more economical. That StarTech panel is only appropriate for old motherboards lacking front-side USB3 or if front-side USB3 on motherboard are used up but one want to get even more.

Meanwhile, for legacy expansion card, special choice with old PCI slot such as https://www.newegg.com/asus-pro-b550...82E16813119365 and https://www.newegg.com/asus-pro-a520...2MG-000B-003T9 still exist. I actually quite like their classy green PCB color
    I looked at both of those motherboards, but their expansion room is limited, and I don't *need* a bunch of serial ports really. It would just be nice to have. And I could go with a PCIe to PCI adapter if need be. Probably won't, but I'll keep it in mind.

And I do think the startech USB3 port expansion is what I'll go with, since it's quick and simple and the new motherboard will have USB3 ports all over the back.

Leave a comment:

• billyswong
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    USB3 - something like this?

I'd check the PCI-E topology of the boards you're interested in with a 5700G (see if the PDF manuals mention anything) as some boards change what slots are enabled depending on the CPU installed, or what speeds they can achieve.
    If l8gravely is buying new motherboard, a simpler front panel that plug into motherboard looks more economical. That StarTech panel is only appropriate for old motherboards lacking front-side USB3 or if front-side USB3 on motherboard are used up but one want to get even more.

Meanwhile, for legacy expansion card, special choice with old PCI slot such as https://www.newegg.com/asus-pro-b550...82E16813119365 and https://www.newegg.com/asus-pro-a520...2MG-000B-003T9 still exist. I actually quite like their classy green PCB color

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    From the looks of this, even though I want to wait for Zen4, it would make more sense for me to upgrade to a recent Zen3 processor/MB/DDR4/SSD combo to replace my ancient AMD Phenom II X4 DDR2 16gb main server system. It's hitting almost 14 years old now and still running strong in alot of ways. It's just really starting to show it's age and I'm sure *anything* would be an improvement now, especially with 32 or 64gb of RAM so I can run more stuff as VMs.

So what do people think is the sweet spot of Zen3 in terms of price/perfomance/power these days? The 8 core chips look really good, but only up until a point. Buying an extra 200mhz for $100-$150 more doesn't appeal when it makes more sense to get more memory.
    It all depends what workload you have and what you plan to do in the future. I would guess that you gonna run that system for at least 10 years. I recommend that you find your bottlenecks first before throwing money at the wrong place. Is single core important or multicore? Or is the CPU actually enough but you need more RAM?

6 cores would be the lower limit for me even if your phenom is enough right now. And there is no better deal than the AMD Ryzen 5 5500, in germany its 150 €. Ryzen 5 3600 would also be good if you get it under 100 € (maybe used?).

I would definitly go for a used high end mother board, they will be ass cheap as soon as AM5 gets in the market. You also could get a high end Ryzen 5000 in 2 years and start with the cheapest AM4 option for now.

The Ryzen 5000 8-core chips are not so good in terms of price/performance (there are even better 12 core deals). Ryzen 7 5700X for around 300 € would be your best bet there. And I wouldn't put a G-APU in a server unless you plan to use the gpu for transcoding/streaming. BTW the 4700G is 100 € cheaper than the 5700G (Zen 2 vs Zen 3 and 200 MHz difference).

My Phenom 2 Server has still more performance than I need with just 8 GB RAM. But its a file/backup server with LUKS and some nextcloud testing, also only single digit users at any time.

Edit:
    Part of my issue is that it's my main server and I have an LSI 2008 SATA card in there which requires an PCIe x8 slot, so I'm trying to get a board with multiple slots.
    This looks like a fake raid card (no cache, no battery), you would be better off with mdadm.
    And like someone else mentioned, using a G-APU would limit you to PCIe 3.0 and not so many lanes.

The biggest performance upgrade for my old phenom server were super cheap Samsung SSDs and you probably don't want to limit yourself to SATA for the next 10 years.
    Last edited by Anux; 25 May 2022, 05:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by rclark View Post
    I jumped from a AMD Phenom II X4 to the first gen Ryzen 1600 back when introduced and it blew the doors off of the Phenom processor

Sorry, couldn't resist some classic Caine.

If anyone has another good motherboard they would recommend instead, I'm all ears. Not really looking for 2.5gb ethernet, maybe dual 1g so I could bond it to my core switch, but it's not a core requirement.

Oh, I need a USB3.x front of case adapter to bring some USB3 ports to the front. My old Centurion case only has USB2.0 stuff on the front. Maybe I'll get a new case, but for now I'll work with what I've got.
    USB3 - something like this?

I'd check the PCI-E topology of the boards you're interested in with a 5700G (see if the PDF manuals mention anything) as some boards change what slots are enabled depending on the CPU installed, or what speeds they can achieve.

Leave a comment:

• l8gravely
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    Just don't do what I did - for some reason, when I was looking at upgrading, I completely blanked on the fact that the 5700G is PCI-E Gen.3, not Gen.4.

I mean, I just repurposed it, but... yeah, felt like an idiot.

The 65W chips are nice, though - a lot of performance for a lot less power draw.
    I'm looking forward to the increase in speed. Part of my issue is that it's my main server and I have an LSI 2008 SATA card in there which requires an PCIe x8 slot, so I'm trying to get a board with multiple slots. IT's going to be a server, so onboard graphics are more than enough for my needs, which gives me three x16/x8 slots if I go with: ASRock X570 TAICHI AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard as the motherboard. I think it's a good compromise for what I need. Lots of SATA ports built in, plenty of other ports, and a good number of PCIe. I will have to give up my Cyclom-Y PCI serial card though... dang. :-)

If anyone has another good motherboard they would recommend instead, I'm all ears. Not really looking for 2.5gb ethernet, maybe dual 1g so I could bond it to my core switch, but it's not a core requirement.

Oh, I need a USB3.x front of case adapter to bring some USB3 ports to the front. My old Centurion case only has USB2.0 stuff on the front. Maybe I'll get a new case, but for now I'll work with what I've got.

Leave a comment:

• rclark
    replied
    So what do people think is the sweet spot of Zen3 in terms of price/perfomance/power these days?
    Sweet spot is the 6 core processors whether 5600, 5600X, or 5600G. If you have a nice video card, don't mess with the 5600G... At least that is my humble opinion. I jumped from a AMD Phenom II X4 to the first gen Ryzen 1600 back when introduced and it blew the doors off of the Phenom processor so to speak. I couldn't believe the difference in performance at the time. The 5600 series is just that much better. I've went through the 1600, 2600, 3600 before I landed the 5600X (same hardware thanks to AM4)... probably the last upgrade for our home general purpose computer. It's more than fast enough for anything that we'll want that computer to do. The Win7 VM that my wife occasionally runs is way faster than the old bare metal Win7 machine that no longer exists. All my home machines are running Linux as the base OS.
    Last edited by rclark; 24 May 2022, 08:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X