AMD Renoir Seeing Nice Uplift Moving From Ubuntu 20.04 To 22.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Renoir Seeing Nice Uplift Moving From Ubuntu 20.04 To 22.04 LTS

Phoronix: AMD Renoir Seeing Nice Uplift Moving From Ubuntu 20.04 To 22.04 LTS

With my Ubuntu 22.04 LTS benchmarking thus far it's been focused on shiny and exciting high-end hardware, the latest flagship desktop processors, and interesting old hardware comparisons. But what about Ubuntu 22.04 LTS performance on recent but mature hardware platforms? For this round of testing I am looking at the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS versus Ubuntu 22.04 LTS performance on AMD Ryzen and Intel Core industrial PCs from OnLogic. Especially in the case of AMD Ryzen "Renoir" there is still more performance being squeezed out of this new Ubuntu long-term support release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"at the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS versus Ubuntu 22.04 LTS performance" - one must be 20.04 LTS!

Comment

The dreaded copy/paste fail.

From the next paragraph:

Being curious about whether Ubuntu 22.04 to 22.04 LTS upgrades are worthwhile for more modest hardware

Comment

I just wanted to come back and say that it's very nice knowing that software gave us Zen 2+

The pessimist in me is very sad that we started at Zen 2-

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I just wanted to come back and say that it's very nice knowing that software gave us Zen 2+

The pessimist in me is very sad that we started at Zen 2-
          Devs that want to optimize their own software would make a lot of decisions based on how their own hardware performs first. So as the more popular a certain architecture is for tech people (so typically the highest performing arch of a year or two before) the better that arch performs.

Zen2 was such a big leap over anything else, especially in notebooks that many, many devs explicitly requested those for their personal notebooks.
          Before that it was almost exclusively Skylake based notebooks...
          (I have one too, it's an amazing improvement over my previous system, the first time I had multiples of performance increases (about 2.5x) instead of a 30% speedup)

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post

Devs that want to optimize their own software would make a lot of decisions based on how their own hardware performs first. So as the more popular a certain architecture is for tech people (so typically the highest performing arch of a year or two before) the better that arch performs.

Zen2 was such a big leap over anything else, especially in notebooks that many, many devs explicitly requested those for their personal notebooks.
            Before that it was almost exclusively Skylake based notebooks...
            (I have one too, it's an amazing improvement over my previous system, the first time I had multiples of performance increases (about 2.5x) instead of a 30% speedup)
            I went from a 2011 Intel Westmere to Zen 2. Talk about rocking my socks off

Comment

What's the name of the Mini PCs in the pictures?

Edit: OnLogic Helix 500 and OnLogic ML100G-41
              Last edited by Kjell; 04 May 2022, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Is anyone else seeing issues with Renoir on drm-next with the new Buddy allocator? Or is it a PRIME issue?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I went from a 2011 Intel Westmere to Zen 2. Talk about rocking my socks off
                  Indeed. Quite nice upgrade

Comment

Have to say, going from 2500u to 5800h was a fairly decent upgrade. I just didn't want to wait another year until RDNA2 iGPU though

Comment

Working...
                    X