Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D On Linux: Not For Gaming, But Very Exciting For Other Workloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raka555
    replied
    Originally posted by fuzz View Post
    I picked one of these up just to see what I can do with it as a developer. I think it's a great opportunity to learn to develop for cache performance on consumer grade hardware.

So far I've had no issues and there are reports that the vcore undervolts without issues to lower power consumption.
    There is nothing to learn here as a developer.
    You should buy a CPU with limited cache and learn how to make that perform.
    I can basically load my whole program in to cache with this CPU. No skill required except for do not make bloated apps.

Having said that, bloated apps should be one of the areas where this CPU excel as larger parts can fit in the cache.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    One minor note re:

If I am reading the benchmark summary correctly Shadow of the Tomb Raider had a 17.1% advantage on the X3D part. Not as big as Deus Ex but more than a few percent. Wondering if the SOTR results came in late, after most of the article had been written ?

I hate nitpicking like this, great article otherwise. The difference in impact of the extra cache between Windows & Linux games was interesting.
    Whoops yeah fixed that sentence, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    I would like to see game benchmarks for win games running through proton. If the gains are similiar to those of the windows world.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    I picked one of these up just to see what I can do with it as a developer. I think it's a great opportunity to learn to develop for cache performance on consumer grade hardware.

So far I've had no issues and there are reports that the vcore undervolts without issues to lower power consumption.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    One minor note re:

But for DiRT Rally 2.00, HITMAN 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Strange Brigade, Unvanquished, Total War Three Kingdoms, and various other benchmark-friendly games on Linux both by native game ports and Windows games running under Steam Play, the results were within just a few percent either way.
    If I am reading the benchmark summary correctly Shadow of the Tomb Raider had a 17.1% advantage on the X3D part. Not as big as Deus Ex but more than a few percent. Wondering if the SOTR results came in late, after most of the article had been written ?

I hate nitpicking like this, great article otherwise. The difference in impact of the extra cache between Windows & Linux games was interesting.
    Last edited by bridgman; 25 April 2022, 10:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nicalandia
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I wonder if LZ4, XZ, and other codecs get performance improvements as well.
    LZ4 Does not appear to take advantage of the 3D V-Cache

LZ4.jpg

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    So strange how it has basically the exact opposite results from Windows, where this CPU is really only good for games and not so useful in most productivity workloads.
    I can't say I'm too surprised Linux takes better advantage of the cache for productivity, but why doesn't it for games?
    I think it is just the type of games and applications being used. For games, most Windows games are larger and more complex and need a larger amount of space in the cache. You only see increases in performance where core logic to games is too big to fit in a traditional L3 cache and has to be fetched from memory. As for applications, most publications didn't really test any specialized deep learning or HPC applications due to the audience. Linux is just much bigger than Windows in those spaces.

Leave a comment:

• nicalandia
    replied
    Originally posted by miskol View Post
    It will be nice to see benchmarks 5800 vs 5800X3D on same frequency
    So we see how much V- cache add
    as 5800 and 5800X3D has different frequency
    There is a short video in Youtube on how to OC this to 4.8 Ghz and when benchmarked(on Windows) it's as fast as the 5800X on productivity apps that don't take advantage of 3D V-Cache but it gains pretty good performance on apps that do

Leave a comment:

• miskol
    replied
    It will be nice to see benchmarks 5800X vs 5800X3D on same frequency
    So we see how much V- cache add
    as 5800X and 5800X3D has different frequency
    or downclock 5800X
    Last edited by miskol; 25 April 2022, 04:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    So strange how it has basically the exact opposite results from Windows, where this CPU is really only good for games and not so useful in most productivity workloads.
    I can't say I'm too surprised Linux takes better advantage of the cache for productivity, but why doesn't it for games?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X