Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D On Linux: Not For Gaming, But Very Exciting For Other Workloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D On Linux: Not For Gaming, But Very Exciting For Other Workloads

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D On Linux: Not For Gaming, But Very Exciting For Other Workloads

Last week AMD began shipping the much anticipated Ryzen 7 5800X3D as their first 3D V-Cache consumer CPU and their claims to be "the world's fastest PC gaming processor" in being able to outperform even the Core i9 12900K / 12900KS for Windows gaming. We weren't seeded by AMD for this launch, leading us to anticipate that it's not too good for Linux gaming / not their target market. But after the great success I've had with AMD Milan-X performance on Linux, I was very eager to try out this consumer CPU with the 3D-stacked L3 cache and ended up purchasing a 5800X3D. Indeed the Ryzen 7 5800X3D turned out to be disappointing for Linux gaming performance but the 5800X3D was very interesting for a range of other technical workloads and making me very excited for future Ryzen CPUs with 3D V-Cache.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice article. The only info I’d be interested in is how it compares to the 5900x as it has been recently selling for $400us or less which is less than the 5800x3d. Definitely will be exciting to see if zen4 does carry a large cache like this and how much it will benefit. Obviously their larger market is windows for consumer tier sales and those most common workloads may not benefit as much as on linux or may be niche. Right now it seems like a trade off with clock speed, though they are maybe being overly cautious.

Comment

As expected the HPC, 3D Fluid Dynamics and Deep Learning Performance is Off the Charts

Comment

And now do a 16 core 192 mb cache 5999x - am4 can handle it! Even with dual mem channels only, this thing will be a beast for hpc - a 1000$ seems a fair price.

Comment

Originally posted by nicalandia View Post
          As expected the HPC, 3D Fluid Dynamics and Deep Learning Performance is Off the Charts
          Zstd as well. Like Michael points out in the article, that probably had good benefits for file systems using Zstd for compression. I wonder if LZ4, XZ, and other codecs get performance improvements as well.

Comment

I'd be interested to see some game benchmarks at 1280x720 to reduce the chance of any GPU bottlenecks, and maybe some benchmarks for games that show a big jump in performance in Windows, like Battlefield V (seems like it should work with Proton). For what it's worth, the 17.1% improvement you measured for Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1920x1080 (High) is a lot better than this Windows benchmark that saw only a 0.4% difference (at Ultra, however).

Comment

I must say I'm impressed with the 5800X3D. It can easily beat the 12900K in gaming, which is exactly what AMD claimed, while drawing less power. It can be a drop-in replacement for almost any AM4 board and it isn't as RAM dependant as other SKUs are (mainly because of its big pool of L3 cache), although it's a little pricy, but it's a top-of-the-line CPU, anyway.

I don't think we have ever seen such a versatile platform. AM4 really delivered!
              Last edited by EvilHowl; 25 April 2022, 04:38 PM.

Comment

So strange how it has basically the exact opposite results from Windows, where this CPU is really only good for games and not so useful in most productivity workloads.
                I can't say I'm too surprised Linux takes better advantage of the cache for productivity, but why doesn't it for games?

Comment

It will be nice to see benchmarks 5800X vs 5800X3D on same frequency
                  So we see how much V- cache add
                  as 5800X and 5800X3D has different frequency
                  or downclock 5800X
                  Last edited by miskol; 25 April 2022, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post
                    It will be nice to see benchmarks 5800 vs 5800X3D on same frequency
                    So we see how much V- cache add
                    as 5800 and 5800X3D has different frequency
                    There is a short video in Youtube on how to OC this to 4.8 Ghz and when benchmarked(on Windows) it's as fast as the 5800X on productivity apps that don't take advantage of 3D V-Cache but it gains pretty good performance on apps that do

Comment

Working...
                    X