Running AMD EPYC 7773X Milan-X With Linux 5.18's Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running AMD EPYC 7773X Milan-X With Linux 5.18's Performance Improvements

Phoronix: Running AMD EPYC 7773X Milan-X With Linux 5.18's Performance Improvements

As previously talked about on Phoronix with the in-development Linux 5.18 kernel there is a change to the Linux kernel scheduler around the NUMA imbalance handling when spanning multiple LLCs as is the case with AMD Zen CPUs. Already I've carried out benchmarks looking at some of the areas where AMD EPYC CPUs are enjoying speed-ups on Linux 5.18. Since benchmarking the AMD EPYC 7773X with its hefty 1.5GB of L3 cache for 2P servers via AMD 3D V-Cache, I've been curious to try this forthcoming kernel on that Milan-X configuration. Here are such benchmarks looking at the AMD EPYC 7773X 2P performance on Ubuntu 22.04 with its default Linux 5.15 kernel against Linux 5.17 stable and then the 5.18 development kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

You say the defaults were used:
    Does that mean the performance governor ıs selected by default on AMD EPYC CPUs over schedutıl?

Note that İ'm not complaınıng;
    ın fact, İ belıeve the performance governor should be used everywhere -- would certaınly help the perceıved perceptıon of Lınux as a performant platform...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
      Michael

ın fact, İ belıeve the performance governor should be used everywhere -- would certaınly help the perceıved perceptıon of Lınux as a performant platform...
      If you did that, the perception of battery life on a laptop wouldn't be so great.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
        Michael

You say the defaults were used:
        Does that mean the performance governor ıs selected by default on AMD EPYC CPUs over schedutıl?

Note that İ'm not complaınıng;
        Whoops, yeah forgot to mention that as the exception in the server tests. Should be clarified now in the article.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Whoops, yeah forgot to mention that as the exception in the server tests. Should be clarified now in the article.
          Maybe some day in the future you could have dual pane side by side graphs where left side is same graph, but new on right split is the the percentage difference ?

23498292832 vs 344934834 : i could think less, plus everyone loves more graphs

Comment

Can performance improvements be expected on non-Epyc CPUs as well, say Threadrippers or normal Ryzens?

Comment

I wonder if we could talk Phoronix into checking if 5800X3D is any good/better to various distros.

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
                I wonder if we could talk Phoronix into checking if 5800X3D is any good/better to various distros.
                Unfortunately AMD hasn't offered any review sample...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                X