No announcement yet.

Noctua NH-D12L Dual Tower CPU Cooler - 120mm-Class Cooling For 4U Server Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, interesting! I usually buy Noctua coolers, but when I did my sWRX build I was afraid there was no 120mm 4U cooler, only 9U, so I had to buy an 120mm Arctic Cooling one ( https://www.arctic.de/en/Freezer-4U-SP3/ACFRE00081A ) someone linked to me in Phoronix forums. It's good to see Noctua in the 120mm 4U game for sTRX4/sWRX.
    Last edited by illwieckz; 13 April 2022, 01:32 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
      Oh, interesting! I usually buy Noctua coolers, but when I did my sWRX build I was afraid there was no 120mm 4U cooler, only 9U, so I had to buy an 120mm Arctic Cooling one ( https://www.arctic.de/en/Freezer-4U-SP3/ACFRE00081A ) someone linked to me in Phoronix forums. It's good to see Noctua in the 120mm 4U game for sTRX4/sWRX.
      TBH that looks beefier than any of Noctua's 120mm coolers anyway. 8 heatpipes, fully ducted, tons of surface area... and arctic fans are typically good for the price.

Heck, I want an AM4/LGA1700 version of that for an sff desktop.
      Last edited by brucethemoose; 13 April 2022, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The 'original' cooler is the NH-*U9S as shown in the article.... The temps aren't out of the ordinary for 12900K under max load in peak conditions on air cooling.
        Here I thought 100 degrees meant super high risk of melting transistors...

Comment

I am currently using a Master Air MA620M in my workstation, first used on a 3900X, and now on a 5900X. It is tall, but fits fine in my case. The D12 looks ok too, but not as 'pretty' . My idle temps stay in the low 30s. And for my usage, I've never seen it above 65C. I also turn the turbo boost off in BIOS for my Ryzen processors as I don't need it which probably helps. I'll take a air cooler over a water cooler any day .. as long as it will quietly do the job. Even if the fan 'died' you'd never fry the chip.

Comment

For the price I think a 120mm AIO water cooler is a better buy.

Comment

Well this is interesting. Have now Noctua NH-C14S

Would be nice to know difference in temps against my r7 3800x Had earlier nh-d15S which was like few cm too tall to fit 4U rack case similar used in the test setup actually.
              Last edited by Dehir; 16 April 2022, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                For the price I think a 120mm AIO water cooler is a better buy.
                But a tower cooler can't leak, and doesn't have a pump that can fail, and can be quite reasonably priced.

That being said, I find AIO GPU mounts to be really appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

But a tower cooler can't leak, and doesn't have a pump that can fail, and can be quite reasonably priced.

That being said, I find AIO GPU mounts to be really appealing.
                  I've had about 10 AIO water coolers. I have never had a leak. One had a pump fail - the pump stopped pushing water properly, but it did not leak. The pump fail is much like a fan fail IMO, though more expensive to be sure.

AIO GPU cooling has been a great thing. I used AIOs on Radeon VIIs and on a 2080ti, really good results.

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
                    I am currently using a Master Air MA620M in my workstation, first used on a 3900X, and now on a 5900X. It is tall, but fits fine in my case. The D12 looks ok too, but not as 'pretty' . My idle temps stay in the low 30s. And for my usage, I've never seen it above 65C. I also turn the turbo boost off in BIOS for my Ryzen processors as I don't need it which probably helps. I'll take a air cooler over a water cooler any day .. as long as it will quietly do the job. Even if the fan 'died' you'd never fry the chip.
                    You won't fry the chip in any case. It will hit it's thermal limit and shut the PC down. Frying the chip is not a thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X