Updated AMD Zen 1 Through Zen 3 CPU Microcode Published

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
    I guess you are thinking of updating the bios. Using the amd released firmware with the kernel on boot don't permanently modify anything as far as I know.

Anyways, i'm unable to actually use the microcode released by AMD, and i'm pretty sure i've never been able to and i've spent a few years trying.
    It just never loads, and searching the internet till my eyes hurt never gives an answer.
    It's usually due to an incorrect table in the container header not listing your specific CPU, even if it's compatible. The whole microcode loading facility in linux if full of horrible jank.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
      I guess you are thinking of updating the bios. Using the amd released firmware with the kernel on boot don't permanently modify anything as far as I know.
      For me the issue was with the Bluetooth firmware for the Intel AX200 chip. It would not load the latest driver from linux-firmware. Only after doing a cold boot + draining all power would the new version be loaded. I stumbled across this solution after several reports in this thread. Maybe this is specific to the Bluetooth firmware? But whenever I see a linux-firmware update I follow this procedure ever since just to make sure (and will do for the next release as well as there is updated bluetooth firmware).

Comment

Ok, thanks. I guess there is nothing I can do to make the loader work.
        I'll just have to wait for a bios update to test the new microcode.

Comment

The fam17 microcode may be bigger, but it only contains items for three specific model and stepping variants. To see what it (and fam19) contain, use

Comment

Code:
            Microcode patches in /lib/firmware/amd-ucode/microcode_amd_fam17h.bin:
            Family=0x17 Model=0x08 Stepping=0x02: Patch=0x0800820d Length=3200 bytes
            Family=0x17 Model=0x01 Stepping=0x02: Patch=0x0800126e Length=3200 bytes
            Family=0x17 Model=0x31 Stepping=0x00: Patch=0x08301055 Length=3200 bytes
            Family=0x17 Model=0x08 Stepping=0x02 Ryzen/Threadripper Zen+
            2XXX (and the 1600AF)
            No change from previous patch level
            Family=0x17 Model=0x01 Stepping=0x02 Zen1 EPYC
            (inc EPYC embedded)
            updated patch level from previous version
            Family=0x17 Model=0x31 Stepping=0x00 Zen2 EPYC newly added patch
            Last edited by csutcliff; 21 April 2022, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X