X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evil_core
    replied
    Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Yes, and the PSP has little to do with the BIOS, motherboard, or x86 CPU cores. By the time the CPU cores come out of reset and start running the BIOS, the PSP has already basically done all of it's work. It's not involved in microcode loading.
    I was talking about that CPU contains only RAM and truly read-only ROM, so microcode must be provided every-boot by motherboard BIOS or bootloader/operating-system.

And motherboard did less and less during the years, so today CPU is the one ruling motherboard(which mainly provides electrical connections today. Not sure if anything, except some discrete electronics is needed to be on mainboard)

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post

What was referencing is the newer bios updates for the older X370 boards that allow them to run the newer Ryzen CPUs. My thoughts here are AMD might want some newer microcode to work against the newer bios better - like the article said - bring along the improvements of the last few years.
    The microcode and BIOS are shipped together. In fact, there's really nothing else in the BIOS that's CPU-specific other than "how to turn it on" (AGESA) so you don't really need to update microcode to "work with [the bios] better."

Leave a comment:

• Lycanthropist
    replied
    Has someone ever tried to reply to those update mails to ask about the changes? Maybe they'll answer if asked nicely.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied

The new bios updates are almost certainly to distribute the new microcode. For a long time CPU manufacturers have been cagy about allowing the OS to do the updates, preferring that the BIOS do it before the OS even loads.
    What was referencing is the newer bios updates for the older X370 boards that allow them to run the newer Ryzen CPUs. My thoughts here are AMD might want some newer microcode to work against the newer bios better - like the article said - bring along the improvements of the last few years.

Leave a comment:

• Mangix
    replied
    hopefully these microcode updates == fewer positives under /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Well, I guess if another nasty security vulnerability lands, and AMD goes, "Aha! We aren't vulnerable!" and older microcodes are vulnerable... we'll know what the size jump was. Especially if the old vs. new microcode shows a performance hit (beyond 1-2%...)

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    Originally posted by evil_core View Post

But you don't 'burn' new microcode into CPU, but it must be provided by OS/bootloader everytime on boot or be flashed to M/B BIOS/EFI(and be loaded every boot to CPU)
    Yes, and the PSP has little to do with the BIOS, motherboard, or x86 CPU cores. By the time the CPU cores come out of reset and start running the BIOS, the PSP has already basically done all of it's work. It's not involved in microcode loading.

Leave a comment:

• evil_core
    replied

afaik the PSP and microcode are completely separate. The microcode reconfigures the operation of the main cores' pipelines. The PSP is an entierly separate ARM-based computer living on the same chip.
    But you don't 'burn' new microcode into CPU, but it must be provided by OS/bootloader everytime on boot or be flashed to M/B BIOS/EFI(and be loaded every boot to CPU)

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
    Very weird.

I hope it does not have anything to to with their PSP module.

EDIT, for those that do not know what it is:

afaik the PSP and microcode are completely separate. The microcode reconfigures the operation of the main cores' pipelines. The PSP is an entierly separate ARM-based computer living on the same chip.

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post
    Given the recent bios updates for x370 I wonder if it is related?
    The new bios updates are almost certainly to distribute the new microcode. For a long time CPU manufacturers have been cagy about allowing the OS to do the updates, preferring that the BIOS do it before the OS even loads.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X