Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated AMD Zen 1 Through Zen 3 CPU Microcode Published

Phoronix: Updated AMD Zen 1 Through Zen 3 CPU Microcode Published

On Friday AMD published new CPU microcode files for both Family 17h and Family 19h for Zen 1/2/3 processors. At the moment there isn't any public insight into the changes with this updated microcode but it may be significant...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not even making the effort of lying to us. I feel neglected. xD

Seriously, thanks for observing and documenting this Michael.

Comment

Very weird.

I hope it does not have anything to to with their PSP module.

EDIT, for those that do not know what it is:
      Originally posted by Lasergurke3D
      The PSP is an ARM Cortex A5 with some private SRAM, a hardware crypto engine (a rather impressive one, if I may add), and on chip boot rom. The PSP has unlimited DMA access into every memory region, and can even override the IOMMU.

It features an fully fledged operating system, called "Kinibi" (formerly <t-base) by Trustonic. It loads various drivers and applications during bootup. One of them is the fTPM, which is a trusted application emulating a TPM module.

On Ryzen processors with integrated graphics, HDCP is handled by the PSP. It is also responsible for DRAM initialization, and supervises the boot process.
      Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 10 April 2022, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Given the recent bios updates for x370 I wonder if it is related?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          i had a similar thought. first gen ryzen might need firmware updates to work on newer agesa.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
            The new bios updates are almost certainly to distribute the new microcode. For a long time CPU manufacturers have been cagy about allowing the OS to do the updates, preferring that the BIOS do it before the OS even loads.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
              Very weird.

I hope it does not have anything to to with their PSP module.

EDIT, for those that do not know what it is:

afaik the PSP and microcode are completely separate. The microcode reconfigures the operation of the main cores' pipelines. The PSP is an entierly separate ARM-based computer living on the same chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

afaik the PSP and microcode are completely separate. The microcode reconfigures the operation of the main cores' pipelines. The PSP is an entierly separate ARM-based computer living on the same chip.
                But you don't 'burn' new microcode into CPU, but it must be provided by OS/bootloader everytime on boot or be flashed to M/B BIOS/EFI(and be loaded every boot to CPU)

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post

But you don't 'burn' new microcode into CPU, but it must be provided by OS/bootloader everytime on boot or be flashed to M/B BIOS/EFI(and be loaded every boot to CPU)
                  Yes, and the PSP has little to do with the BIOS, motherboard, or x86 CPU cores. By the time the CPU cores come out of reset and start running the BIOS, the PSP has already basically done all of it's work. It's not involved in microcode loading.

Comment

Well, I guess if another nasty security vulnerability lands, and AMD goes, "Aha! We aren't vulnerable!" and older microcodes are vulnerable... we'll know what the size jump was. Especially if the old vs. new microcode shows a performance hit (beyond 1-2%...)

Comment

Working...
                    X