Pensando Sends Out Latest Linux Patches For Bringing Up Their Elba DPU SoC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pensando Sends Out Latest Linux Patches For Bringing Up Their Elba DPU SoC

Phoronix: Pensando Sends Out Latest Linux Patches For Bringing Up Their Elba DPU SoC

Earlier this week was the news of AMD acquiring Pensando in a $1.9B deal expected to close in Q2. The acquisition announcement isn't slowing down their efforts with today bringing the latest version of their Linux kernel patches for bringing up the Elba SoC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess this is similar to Nvidia's purchase of Mellanox... and this will be AMD's go to network gear in datacenters.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
      I guess this is similar to Nvidia's purchase of Mellanox... and this will be AMD's go to network gear in datacenters.
      AMD already picked up your common use Ethernet adapters a la Mellanox (ConnectX adapters) via Xilinx with Solarflare. That'll be the go to for most common usage. But Pensando appears to have an option to provide a DPU based product similar to Mellanox's BlueField adapters.
      Last edited by brad0; 07 April 2022, 11:13 PM.

Comment

So it'll be able to run OpenWrt. <grin> It'll be nice to get some capable ARM SoCs.

(Yes, this posting is tongue in cheek, and I'm not seriously proposing that OpenWrt would be the first choice for running on data centre equipment, but once you go mainline, all sorts of interesting/zany possibilities present themselves.)

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

AMD already picked up your common use Ethernet adapters a la Mellanox (ConnectX adapters) via Xilinx with Solarflare. That'll be the go to for most common usage. But Pensando appears to have an option to provide a DPU based product similar to Mellanox's BlueField adapters.
          True AMD also has their in house 10GBE at the low end but almost no chips enable that for whatever reason. I suspect that is actually there other purposes part of manufacturing.... otherwise why would they waste that much silicon on a 10GBe adapter and never use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
            So it'll be able to run OpenWrt. <grin> It'll be nice to get some capable ARM SoCs.

(Yes, this posting is tongue in cheek, and I'm not seriously proposing that OpenWrt would be the first choice for running on data centre equipment, but once you go mainline, all sorts of interesting/zany possibilities present themselves.)
            Any serious company is working ahead of mainline... so yeah. Also this is likely some form of high performance software defined routing that doesn't really rely on Linux itself all that much other than for hardware drivers.

Comment

Working...
            X