Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Linux Performance

AMD on Monday began shipping the Ryzen 5 5500 as a ~$159 USD processor in the Zen 3 family. The Ryzen 5 5500 offers 6 cores / 12 threads with a 65 Watt TDP rating in making for a fairly robust offering for its low price point. I've had the Ryzen 5 5500 in the lab the past few days and in this article are some initial benchmarks seeing how this mid-range processor performs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With a bit of an undervolt, this could be really appealing for home servers. Very good performance-per-watt and performance-per-dollar.

Comment

How much does it improve compared to the 3600?... I really lack that reference... excellent article!
      Greetings

Comment

I'm surprised it lost to the 5600G by a substantial margin. I though it was just a G model without the iGPU.

Comment

It's a shame to not see this compared to any of the higher-end, or at least middle-end, Ryzen 3 processors. Do I want this to replace a 3600?

Comment

I was curious how it compares to my 3950, I guess I have to run a comparison test myself. How do I easily run that? Michael usually lists the test profile in the article, but I'm unable to find it this time.

Edit: I think I found it: phoronix-test-suite benchmark 2204043-NE-AMDRYZEN528

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              I'm surprised it lost to the 5600G by a substantial margin. I though it was just a G model without the iGPU.
              They're pretty much identical except the 5500 has lower clock speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                I was curious how it compares to my 3950, I guess I have to run a comparison test myself. How do I easily run that? Michael usually lists the test profile in the article, but I'm unable to find it this time.

Edit: I think I found it: phoronix-test-suite benchmark 2204043-NE-AMDRYZEN528
                Based on the 7:30 runtime I'm thinking about running it overnight on my box to see how my 4650G+4GB RX580 compares.

Comment

curiously on microcenter i5 12400 stay more cheaper than Michael shows (208us)

Get it now! 12th Gen Intel Core i5-12400 desktop processor. Featuring PCIe 5.0 & 4.0 support, DDR5 and DDR4 support, 12th Gen Intel Core i5 desktop processors are optimized for gamers and productivity and help deliver high performance. Intel Laminar RM1 included in the box.

i5 12400 (igp included) stay in 169us and 5500 (no igp) in 159us

Comment

Michael

I think it would have been better if You had used the performance governor across all tested CPUs, instead of schedutil for AMD & pstate_powersave on Intel.

This way, we could get a more accurate picture about the true performance-potential of each CPU instead of comparing the shortcomings of the (by design) lesser performant governors.

Comment

Working...
                    X