Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Linux Performance

AMD on Monday began shipping the Ryzen 5 5500 as a ~$159 USD processor in the Zen 3 family. The Ryzen 5 5500 offers 6 cores / 12 threads with a 65 Watt TDP rating in making for a fairly robust offering for its low price point. I've had the Ryzen 5 5500 in the lab the past few days and in this article are some initial benchmarks seeing how this mid-range processor performs.

https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=31018

With a bit of an undervolt, this could be really appealing for home servers. Very good performance-per-watt and performance-per-dollar.

Comment

How much does it improve compared to the 3600?... I really lack that reference... excellent article!
      Greetings

Comment

I'm surprised it lost to the 5600G by a substantial margin. I though it was just a G model without the iGPU.

Comment

It's a shame to not see this compared to any of the higher-end, or at least middle-end, Ryzen 3 processors. Do I want this to replace a 3600?

Comment

I was curious how it compares to my 3950, I guess I have to run a comparison test myself. How do I easily run that? Michael usually lists the test profile in the article, but I'm unable to find it this time.

Edit: I think I found it: phoronix-test-suite benchmark 2204043-NE-AMDRYZEN528

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
              I'm surprised it lost to the 5600G by a substantial margin. I though it was just a G model without the iGPU.
              They're pretty much identical except the 5500 has lower clock speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                I was curious how it compares to my 3950, I guess I have to run a comparison test myself. How do I easily run that? Michael usually lists the test profile in the article, but I'm unable to find it this time.

Edit: I think I found it: phoronix-test-suite benchmark 2204043-NE-AMDRYZEN528
                Based on the 7:30 runtime I'm thinking about running it overnight on my box to see how my 4650G+4GB RX580 compares.

Comment

curiously on microcenter i5 12400 stay more cheaper than Michael shows (208us)

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...ooler-included

i5 12400 (igp included) stay in 169us and 5500 (no igp) in 159us

Comment

Michael

I think it would have been better if You had used the performance governor across all tested CPUs, instead of schedutil for AMD & pstate_powersave on Intel.

This way, we could get a more accurate picture about the true performance-potential of each CPU instead of comparing the shortcomings of the (by design) lesser performant governors.

Comment

Working...
                    X