• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ntropy
    replied
    Originally posted by sibwase View Post

how you did that? i can't make it work on manjaro
    All you can do is check if cppc is on in bios (lscpu in terminal and look for the flag cppc), then compile the kernel with amd_pstate and disable all tools messing with you governor, like tuxedo-control-center for instance. If that does not help, its not working yet on your cpu.

I have used the pstate for some days now and have a bit mixed feelings. When I resume the laptop or switch the power supply, the governor setting conservative will be lost and it resets to ondemand, effectively resulting in higher energy consumption, heat and fans spinning up. I am not happy about that, this was better on acpi and how the tuxedo control center handled it before. Cant switch it back then from ondemand, only a reboot helps.

Guess I will wait a bit until amd_pstate gets integrated in the third party tools.
    Last edited by ntropy; 25 March 2022, 05:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sibwase
    replied
    Originally posted by ntropy View Post
    Seems to be working great on my 4800H. I am at a good 6.5 W idling but that is not very different from what it was before. Yet when working in Unity with not too much GPU load, I get another hour battery time out the new scaling driver, to a good 5 hours @ 45Wh. https://i.imgur.com/w61JzjF.png Laptop feels way cooler too.

Powertop seems to be a bit all over the place now: https://i.imgur.com/qWLldsd.png
    how you did that? i can't make it work on manjaro

Leave a comment:

• sibwase
    replied
    Originally posted by Termy View Post

The advantage would be more performance for less energy -> more efficiency. I doubt you will get much more performance on a desktop, but rather better temps/less power draw.
    For Manjaro i'd say it should be pretty much the same as described but you'd have to add the module to your mkinitcpio.conf instead of "/etc/initramfs-tools/modules " - don't quote me on that though ^^
    can you please give an instruction of how to add it to mkinitcpio?

Leave a comment:

• loganj
    replied
    how do i disable amd governor?

Leave a comment:

• thulle
    replied
    Tried it for a bit on my 3700x. PSU not accurate enough to detect any drop in power usage, highly threaded workloads are slower, but single core and lightly threaded workloads see boosts to higher top boost frequencies. Reverted to ACPI for now.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

Alive, yes, kicking, nope. Thanks for caring anyways.
    The night is darkest before the dawn...

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Good to see You are still alive & kicking, Artem!
    Alive, yes, kicking, nope. Thanks for caring anyways.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I'm not using it for my Zen 3 system yet.
    Good to see You are still alive & kicking, Artem!

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    I'm not using it for my Zen 3 system yet.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Michael

Since when did Ubuntu's "generic" kernel flavor switched over to activate full "PREEMPT" by default?

Never seen that before...

Can You pinpoint when that intrusive change to Ubuntu's default kernel config happened?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X