No announcement yet.

AMD EPYC 7773X "Milan-X" Benchmarks Show Very Strong HPC Performance Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD EPYC 7773X "Milan-X" Benchmarks Show Very Strong HPC Performance Upgrade

Phoronix: AMD EPYC 7773X "Milan-X" Benchmarks Show Very Strong HPC Performance Upgrade

While Milan-X was announced back in November, today is the day of the Milan-X embargo lift for reviewing these new processors and sharing more about these high-end server processors focused on delivering even greater performance for high performance computing (HPC) workloads. In this review is a look at the performance of the AMD EPYC 7773X series against other AMD EPYC parts and the Intel Xeon Scalable competition under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Quite an exciting release. Considering nothing is actually optimized for this yet, it's incredible what kind of performance gains are being realized in these charts.

Great writeup as always and thank you for your hard work!

Comment

Those are some great numbers, I am impressed.

Comment

Dayum, them are some serious gains. I always suspected zen still has a massive throughput potential to be realized.

Comment

My first computer was a 64kB Sinclair ZX Spectrum clone. My first PC had a 47MB HDD. And now I'm reading about 768MB cache. Crazy, I tell you.

Comment

Waiting for amd to stack another 4-8 gb of L4 cache onto the io die as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              My first computer was a 64kB Sinclair ZX Spectrum clone. My first PC had a 47MB HDD. And now I'm reading about 768MB cache. Crazy, I tell you.
              I was shocked when I learned that my slowest usb thumb drive is still faster than main memory on say 386 machine

Comment

Impressive numbers. My only query is how comparable are the results of vanilla Milan and 'MilanX with cache disabled' when comparing otherwise equivalent CPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by Oppenheimer View Post
                  Impressive numbers. My only query is how comparable are the results of vanilla Milan and 'MilanX with cache disabled' when comparing otherwise equivalent CPUs?
                  That's an interesting question. Going by specs MilanX versions have lower base (7763 2450MHz vs. 7773X 2200MHz) and turbo clocks for all models but 7773X. I wonder if disabling the additional cache reverts the clocks to non-X versions.
                  The fewer cores the bigger the difference, for the 16-core version: 73F3 3500MHz vs. 7373X 3050MHz base and 4000MHz vs. 3800MHz 1T turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

That's an interesting question. Going by specs MilanX versions have lower base (7763 2450MHz vs. 7773X 2200MHz) and turbo clocks for all models but 7773X. I wonder if disabling the additional cache reverts the clocks to non-X versions.
                    The fewer cores the bigger the difference, for the 16-core version: 73F3 3500MHz vs. 7373X 3050MHz base and 4000MHz vs. 3800MHz 1T turbo.
                    At a guess, since the consumer version of this cache doesn't allow voltage manipulation, this generation of this new cache architecture has forced AMD to lock in the voltages for these CPUs. So don't expect it, and be pleasantly surprised if somehow it does.

Comment

Working...
                    X