X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

any good source for Pro APUs? once got scamed by aliexpress "200GE Pro" ...
    Here's a link to the one I bought from the seller I used. The 4650G I bought is up to $360 from $260. All the Pro APUs cost a premium now.

There are also some popping up on Amazon from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• Yalok
    replied
    Are there any similar solutions based on Intel alder lake desktop CPUs?

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    IMO the 128 GB size is about the limit for the workloads you'd be running on a Ryzen. The bigger problem is that ECC memory is only officially supported with the "PRO" variant of the chip which is OEM-only and not available at retail.
    Eh, they say that, but AFAIK it just means that it's up to the motherboard vendor to validate ECC support.

If you check the docs of that ASRock Rack board, they say which CPUs support it and which don't. Of the non-Pro models, only the APUs (i.e. the G-series) truly don't. Hence the interest in this thread in obtaining Ryzen Pro APUs.

Plus, what's all this about the server-oriented "A" OPNs?

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by tehehe View Post
    Too bad 128GB RAM is max for Ryzens.
    IMO the 128 GB size is about the limit for the workloads you'd be running on a Ryzen. The bigger problem is that ECC memory is only officially supported with the "PRO" variant of the chip which is OEM-only and not available at retail.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by orzel View Post
    Almost all servers from 2012~2013 that I have, both amd/intel, can go up to to 768G.
    Using Registered memory? These only support Unbuffered.

If you need lots of RAM, check out the bottom of the EPYC stack. I'm seeing the single-socket, 16-core 7313P with a list price of < $1k, but Newegg is currently selling it for $1180. However, Newegg also has the previous generation 12-core 7272 for just $667.

Last edited by coder; 18 March 2022, 09:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by orzel View Post
    I know what a SKU is, but I have no idea what "OPN" means. This is used in the article without definition, and wikipedia doesn't know about it neither :-(
    I think it's some kind of AMD-specific Part Number or Product Number.

Thanks for calling my attention to that table, because I'm disappointed to note that it's lacking the 5700X. I hope I can still use a regular one.

Leave a comment:

• orzel
    replied
    Originally posted by tehehe View Post
    I completely agree. I've been using ryzen in servers since ~2017, and they do wonder. But the RAM limit is definitely a problem. Almost all servers from 2012~2013 that I have, both amd/intel, can go up to to 768G.

Leave a comment:

• orzel
    replied
    I know what a SKU is, but I have no idea what "OPN" means. This is used in the article without definition, and wikipedia doesn't know about it neither :-(

Leave a comment:

• foobaz
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    [...] when the 5600X was benchmarked against the 5600G, the X had a very consistent margin over the G.
    I wonder how the power consumption compares. The 5600G is all one 7mm die, whereas the X is two dies, and one of them is an older process (12 or 14 nm?). It's possible the G could win at performance-per-watt.

Leave a comment:

• tehehe
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X