Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Posts Some New Linux Job Openings From Client CPU To Server

Phoronix: AMD Posts Some New Linux Job Openings From Client CPU To Server

AMD continues recruiting more Linux engineers to join the company not only for their EPYC server processors given the dominance of Linux on the server/HPC front but also as part of their growing Linux client ambitions covering custom SoCs using Linux from Valve's Steam Deck to the Tesla in-vehicle infotainment system over to just running AMD Ryzen processors on Linux. This is good to see given AMD's traditionally much smaller Linux pool of talent compared to Intel's massive Linux/open-source engineering headcount...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is awesome, hopefully they get a full fledge AMD Radeon™ Software in linux and it would also be nice if they get some sort of competitor to QuickSync so i can build my home NAS with AMD, but i am thinking of getting AMD anyways and getting Intel GPU with Quicksync
    Last edited by cytomax55; 09 March 2022, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
      This is awesome, hopefully they get a full fledge AMD Radeon™ Software in linux and it would also be nice if they get some sort of competitor to QuickSync so i can build my home NAS with AMD, but i am thinking of getting AMD anyways and getting Intel GPU with Quicksync
      QuickSync is just the marketing name for the video hardware on Intel GPUs. AMD has similar hardware and exposes that hardware via the same API, VA-API.

Comment

I know this is a dumb question but how do you quote people... I can't find a reply button..

Anyways ty for clearing that up for me..

@agd5f

I see videos about how quick sync is able to transcode videos on emby and Plex very fast with barely any performance penalty ..

And I am also seeing videos using blue iris and quick sync using ai to detect objects for security cameras

Will AMD have some sort of similar feature in current or upcoming hardware

Comment

Waw AMD[video=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADQ3AcgpyYY&t=189s[/video] Boot Windows and Linux any of chip revision?

Comment

I know this is a dumb question but how do you quote people... I can't find a reply button..

Anyways ty for clearing that up for me..

@agd5f

I see videos about how quick sync is able to transcode videos on emby and Plex very fast with barely any performance penalty ..

And I am also seeing videos using blue iris and quick sync using ai to detect objects for security cameras

Will AMD have some sort of similar feature in current or upcoming hardware
            The hardware supports it today. Both AMD and Intel chips contains media encoders and decoders and both are exposed via the VAAPI API. You should be able to use any VAAPI enabled application for transcoding.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

The hardware supports it today. Both AMD and Intel chips contains media encoders and decoders and both are exposed via the VAAPI API. You should be able to use any VAAPI enabled application for transcoding.
              Intel has spent a lot of money getting various popular consumer software to support QuickSync, while AMD has not.

Also, AMD's encoding hardware is barely competitive with Intel's anyway.

Comment

Are you browsing from a mobile device? The "quote" button is not visible on the mobile version of this site. Click your browser's "show desktop site" button and you will see it.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

Are you browsing from a mobile device? The "quote" button is not visible on the mobile version of this site. Click your browser's "show desktop site" button and you will see it.
                  Thank you!
                  been bugging me for years

Comment

Working...
                  X