Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple M1 Ultra With 20 CPU Cores, 64 Core GPU, 32 Core Neural Engine, Up To 128GB Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple M1 Ultra With 20 CPU Cores, 64 Core GPU, 32 Core Neural Engine, Up To 128GB Memory

Phoronix: Apple M1 Ultra With 20 CPU Cores, 64 Core GPU, 32 Core Neural Engine, Up To 128GB Memory

Apple is at it again with further showing off the potential of their Arm-based Apple Silicon with today rolling out the M1 Ultra SoC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

May be an incredibly powerful processor, but too bad it's only on the least Linux-friendly machines ever.

Comment

I was thinking Apple might do something like this. It kind of makes sense that an M1 would be faster than most other competition considering how much more expensive Apple computers are. I would expect a 3000 dollar Dell to be faster than a 1000 dollar Dell.

I just hope Apple doesn't go back to its old benchmark shenanigans from years back and start talking to us about gigaflops again.

Comment

The Mac Studio with M1 Max will start at $1,999, and M1 Ultra models will start at $3,999. The studio display is $1,599.

Comment

I'm not a big apple fan.

But even with a bit of extra marketing extra hype sauce on top those specs look good.

The slide shows its GPU power above "Highest-end discrete GPU". ?!?? What?

If true -- wow!

AMD needs to 3D stack a 4 Gig shared cache/VRAM module asap.

Comment

If I could trade my 9 year old Linux PC for their highest end model... I wouldn't do it.

Apple walled garden lockin makes Microsoft at its very height of power in 1998 look like a champion of open ecosystems.

Comment

*) Currently not available in Russia.

Comment

I'm very excited to see this machine in testers hands. The maxed out ram / cpu / gpu model starts out at 200 dollars less than the base mac pro. This is insanely affordably and incredibly powerful. I like it a lot. So long as you can take advantage of the fixed-function hardware, it's a no-brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  May be an incredibly powerful processor, but too bad it's only on the least Linux-friendly machines ever.
                  Well, there is an ongoing effort to make the M1 platform Linux compatible. Check out the Asahi Linux project:

They are making astonishing progress!

Comment

Not really a new design as some outlets say.

This design looks like the equivalent of multisocket smp, but using a massive onchip blob solution.
                    Ie. Not a chiplet design where I/O and exec is separated.

My best guess would be a rather hard requirement to keep the footprint small.
                    So success I guess?
                    Must be pretty expensive to make.

Comment

Working...
                    X