OpenBLAS Deciding Whether To Drop Support For Russia's Elbrus CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by patstew View Post
    Russia is literally invading a neighboring state ...
    It's sad that even the most borderless group of people in the world are still in the information cocoon room. Why not think in another direction. Why do you allow the United States and its allies to garrison tens of thousands of kilometers away from home and think it is "justice". But will Russia not be allowed to oppose the NATO troops coming to the door?

Justice? Politics is only dirty. It's the same in any country. So I don't think OSS will get any benefits from participating in this kind of thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      It's not in the same vein because Russia already has what they need to get the job done.
      But what job? Reconstitute the USSR?

Or, you're saying that because there's already a version of OpenBLAS supporting ELBRUS, that removing support for it would be pointless? Well, I can't say you're totally wrong about that, but it would mean they miss out on future fixes, features, & optimizations, unless they port them over to their fork, themselves.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I figured it was implied, as the article said "drop support", as in, they are directly working together. Perhaps I'm wrong and there is no contact, but the underlying point remains the same: Russia is probably going to drop them regardless.
      No, it meant removing the part of code which provide hardware support for ELBRUS.

Comment

• Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        But coder...that's what the US has being doing for the last 50 years..
        The question isn't whether you can find an example, like the US going into Iraq, because if the standard of behavior is the worst thing that anyone else has done, that's called "a race to the bottom." I think we can all agree that the Iraq invasion was a bad idea at the time, and turned out even worse than most predicted. The point here is that we don't want to see that sort of thing repeated again and again.

Plus, as I've said before, the reason for going into Iraq (or Afghanistan, or anywhere else) wasn't to conquer it. In Putin's case, he definitely wants to take Ukraine.

Comment

• Originally posted by wangling View Post
          But will Russia not be allowed to oppose the NATO troops coming to the door?
          First, they didn't. Second, if Russia isn't trying to take land from its neighbors, then it has no need to worry about NATO. You've been brainwashed into believing NATO is your enemy, but that's only true if you make an enemy of NATO.

Comment

• Originally posted by wangling View Post

It's sad that even the most borderless group of people in the world are still in the information cocoon room. Why not think in another direction. Why do you allow the United States and its allies to garrison tens of thousands of kilometers away from home and think it is "justice". But will Russia not be allowed to oppose the NATO troops coming to the door?

Justice? Politics is only dirty. It's the same in any country. So I don't think OSS will get any benefits from participating in this kind of thing.
            There's no moral equivalence between NATO troops being stationed in Estonia at the request of the Estonians, and Russian troops in Ukraine bombing the shit out of the Ukrainians. Russia may or may not genuinely feel threatened by NATO, but it's no excuse for what they're doing. You won't catch me defending the Iraq invasion or similar either, I opposed that from before the US lead us into that mess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Nobody View Post
              Then OpenBLAS should use the BSD No Military License. Currently they don't. I'd be glad if they would switch.
              Re-licensing code is hard. You have to get all the copyright holders to agree to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by dimko View Post
                Way I see it, once USSR broke down, Nato should have stopped grow to east, but that did not happen.
                Why would you think that? If you got kidnapped and managed to escape, you'd probably start carrying a weapon or some form of protection! You don't think former Soviet states felt traumatized by the experience? It would be surprising if they didn't line up at NATO's doorstep!

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                So now we have direct consequence of that and Putin was saying it for years.
                This whole victim narrative by Putin is the real problem. NATO didn't do anything to him. It's not his real problem, it's just a convenient excuse he uses to justify his bad deeds.

Because lets face it. There those who lead and who follow in NATO. Its not equal partnership in there due to whichever many reasons.
                It's a voluntary club. Countries are free to leave, if they want. It's much easier than getting out of the EU, I promise you that!

Comment

With more than 14000 deaths, Ukraine Russians have being genocided, and so Russia advanced in Ukraine to eliminate nazi extremists that are perpetuating genocide..

nazis didn't kill only 2000...they killed more than 14000
                  Some days ago, in just 1 day they killed more 15 and injured more than 30...in just one day!
                  It's funny how you guys manage to turn a separatist conflict, that was even manufactured by Russia, into a genocide.

No doubt the war in eastern Ukraine was a bad thing, but Russia is hardly blameless in that. And if that's all that was animating Putin, he could've taken only those regions.

Comment

• Originally posted by dimko View Post
                    I don't believe in democracy. First of all, democracy is tyranny of minority.
                    Um, no. The risk democracies face is tyranny of the majority. To mitigate that, their citizens have Constitutional rights and other legal protections.

Whatever you're talking about isn't democracy, itself.

(hate speech censorship for example, legal speech being censored)
                    Any country not generally considered a democracy will have fewer protections of speech and expression than most democracies.

Did you happen to hear that Russia is now debating a law that would criminalize anyone reporting news the government disputes? Their last, independent TV station finally ceased broadcasting yesterday, after their broadcasts were being jammed.

Second of all, what can you achieve in 5-10 years if political will changes every 5-10 years?
                    There are better and worse ways to do it. And any country will have changes in leadership or priorities, over time.

This is why tyrannical places like China manages to accomplish at least some long term goals.(i hate to say and admit that)
                    China is indeed organized, but it's also big and knows how to throw its weight around. However, Japan and South Korea have also accomplished much and are both democracies. They might not move as fast, but have accomplished the same sorts of advancements as China. What's more, all three countries were devastated, by the end of World War II. Japan and South Korea developed and advanced much earlier than China.
                    Last edited by coder; 03 March 2022, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Russia is not attacking regular Army in Ukraine, unless provoked!
                      And you don't consider a ground invasion and being showered with missiles and bombs provocation?

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                      Their intentions are clear, they went their to stop the genocide in the east Ukraine, and to kill the nazis.
                      Then why didn't they just go into eastern Ukraine?

If they manage to solve this problem, I believe Russian Ukrainians will not be targeted any more by the Ukrainian regular army( because the guys that are killing the Russians, in the east, are only nazis or nazi bakers..not the regular army ).
                      The regular Ukrainian army is fighting the separatists, in the east. I don't know if there are also paramilitary groups, but the main fighting is with the regular army because they were trying to keep their land from being stolen by Russia.

Russia is the biggest Country on earth by far.. Believe me, they don't want more land...they want to leave in peace without being threatened.
                      Except most of it is a frozen wilderness. But, what Putin really wants in Ukraine is most of all to make sure his own people don't see an example of a successful democracy on their doorstep, consisting of people like them.

You guys seem to hear so much about how bad democracy is. Now, why do you think that's what you're being told?

Comment

Working...
                      X