OpenBLAS Deciding Whether To Drop Support For Russia's Elbrus CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by patstew View Post
    If I had to spend tonight in Kharkiv or Xinjiang, I know what I'd choose. What's going on in Xinjiang is awful (though often overstated), but it's not as bad as being rained on by a MLRS.
    Does this hypothetical include you being a Uyhgur in Xinjiang? Just wondering...

Because, while you might survive bombardment by ordinance, if you get locked up in a "re-education" camp, you might never get back outside.

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post
      There is no such thing as human rights that the goverments care about. Only money talks. And as far as economics go, both Saudi Arabia and China are really important and thus not big threats to (the imaginary) global freedom.
      While the point is undeniable, it's also relative. If China took Taiwan the same way Russia is trying to take Ukraine, I'm sure there'd be largely the same reaction.

Also, you claim Saudi has more clout due to its oil exports? But Russia is also a systemically-important oil provider. That's the main reason current sanctions have a carve-out for energy exports.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
        As the article says, removing something from an open source software is quite pointless. Just stop maintaining it or do a very half-assed job.
        Huh? They're supposed to stop maintaining OpenBLAS, just because Russia is using it? Do you know that Russia also runs Linux on ELBRUS CPUs? Are the Linux kernel's maintainers supposed to let it go to shit, just because of that?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          As that article says, those CPUs had already been superseded, even at the time the tests had been run. Also, snapdragons don't have enough memory capacity, no ECC memory or other RAS features, no multi-CPU support, extremely limited I/O, and being ARM/Qualcomm makes them subject to US sanctions.

I know you were using Snapdragons as a joke, but there are legit reasons Russia wants its own CPUs. And if you're not going to make a separate CPU + GPU, then VLIW at least has the potential to give you good GPU-style number-crunching horsepower.
          Yes, wanting your own CPUs - sure, I completely agree (though they are still fabed in Taiwan IIUC). Doing a good job about it - different story altogether.

Does the Elbrus platform do the above things you mention? Yes, I can see ECC RAM for the much earlier, 28nm chip (and they probably kept that). But I really doubt it can do multi CPU.

VLIW does give great peak power (e.g., see FP numbers ... ). But there's a joke in the architecture community - peak values are really just limits that you're guaranteed to never exceed. Of course, marketing demands that the largest number be quoted ...

So maybe it's not just a joke

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post

If I had to spend tonight in Kharkiv or Xinjiang, I know what I'd choose. What's going on in Xinjiang is awful (though often overstated), but it's not as bad as being rained on by a MLRS.
            Oh I see you like games. Lets make it more fun.
            Lets add extra sauce on top.
            I would not have problem being in occupied by Russians territory, introducing self as Khohol(which i partially am), and telling them to get the fuck out, tell them to return Crimea and call Putin "LIliputin".
            Come out in middle of Bejing, say you are Uyghur, tell them to get hands of Tibet and not even think of Taiwan and tell Chinese to fuck themselves and call their party leader Mr Winnie the Pooh. And some CCP local leader will have new kidney in roughly 48 hours!
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqhj0EO07tc (note scary propaganda Music, while no fucking one got hurt, no one even fucking run, cause clearly Russian soldiers were shooting into crowd right?)
            Your move brah

Take a note day when video was uploaded.

BTW, Ukrain is so good, that it cut off FUCKING WATER from supposedly its own population in Crimea. Only one FUCKING WATER SUPPLY. 95% of all water.
            Because reasons.

Please stop being self righteous and learn what the fuck is going on there. Read post Perestroika history. I don't justify war, all i say there were reasons for it, and that people who blame Russia for light bulb not working in their toilet need to look at them selves first.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
              Yes, Ukrain was full of Nazi sympathizers and henchman, who haunted Jews and killed them mercilessly.
              So, it's okay to invade anywhere that has some bad people who don't like you?

What is your excuse for invading Iraq or Yugoslavia?
              I'm trying to understand your position. Are you saying Iraq and Yugoslavia were okay or not? Because if not, then you should also condemn Putin going into Ukraine.

Now, there's an important difference, as well. Neither Iraq nor Yugoslavia were about conquering and annexing territory. There was always the intent for them to be independent, autonomous, and democratic countries. Not to annex them. And just focusing on Iraq (because that was more recent and one I know more about) that's exactly what happened! There were several leaders elected there who were hostile to US interests and ejected it in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

Elbrus is not produced in Russia. It is produced in Taiwan as well. Zelenograd's factories could probably produce it. AFAIK in Russia factories can produce chips at 16nm.
                Something you learn every day. I never claimed Russians are smart Knowing what those CPU's are, and how bad they are i cant help but ask, WHY.

Comment

I would not have problem being in occupied by Russians territory, introducing self as Khohol(which i partially am), and telling them to get the fuck out, tell them to return Crimea and call Putin "LIliputin".
                  In case you haven't heard, Russians in Russia are getting locked up for less than this.

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post

There are already some restrictions going on. For example, people in Cuba, Syria, North Korea, Iran should not use fedora according to their Legal/Export page in fedoraproject.org
                    I remember in the old days, 25 years ago? or so, when you couldn't legally use specific encryption technologies if you weren't based in the US and the distributor was US-based.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                      NATO never attacked Russia, nor did they ever threaten to. Russia has attacked several of its neighbors. So, which one is really hostile, here?

Sorry, but exactly when did Ukraine join NATO? Oh, right. They didn't.
                      "NATO never attacked Russia, nor did they ever threaten to." they only bombed Russian friendly goverments/regimes and tried to apply their culture everywhere, while screaming there is no such thing as a bad culture. NATO shown their face when their biggest sponsors and members attacked independent countries OVER AND OVER AGAIN. US is hostile one. Even fucking Estonia was in fucking afganistan. Reminds of a VERY dirty joke.
                      "Sorry, but exactly when did Ukraine join NATO?" - they did not. Because Putin put end to it in most brutal, inappropriate way and possibly ONLY available way before it became a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                      X