OpenBLAS Deciding Whether To Drop Support For Russia's Elbrus CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by er888kh View Post

There is no such thing as human rights that the goverments care about. Only money talks. And as far as economics go, both Saudi Arabia and China are really important and thus not big threats to (the imaginary) global freedom.
    So you compare China to Russia why exactly then? You want to tell me, that Russia surrounded by hostile NATO alliance, who warned Ukraine for many years not to join NATO(and Ukraine did not listen) is somehow worse than China where there is organ harvesting on government level?

Comment

As the article says, removing something from an open source software is quite pointless. Just stop maintaining it or do a very half-assed job.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        Russia..., who warned Ukraine for many years not to join NATO(and Ukraine did not listen)
        it seems to me that Russia did exactly the opposite of that, convincing Ukraine to try to join NATO:

Plans for NATO membership were shelved by Ukraine following the 2010 presidential election in which Viktor Yanukovych, who preferred to keep the country non-aligned, was elected President.[4][5] Amid the Euromaidan unrest, Yanukovych fled Ukraine in February 2014.[6] The interim Yatseniuk Government which came to power initially said, with reference to the country's non-aligned status, that it had no plans to join NATO.[7] However, following the Russian military invasion in Ukraine and parliamentary elections in October 2014, the new government made joining NATO a priority.[8]
        According to polls conducted between 2005 and 2013, Ukrainian public support of NATO membership remained low.[13][14][15][16][17][18][19] However, since the Russo-Ukrainian War and Annexation of Crimea, public support for Ukrainian membership in NATO has risen greatly. Since June 2014, polls showed that about 50% of those asked supported Ukrainian NATO membership.[20][21][22][23] Some 69% of Ukrainians want to join NATO, according to a June 2017 poll by the Democratic Initiatives Foundation, compared to 28% support in 2012 when Yanukovych was in power.[24]

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          How hard can it be to keep politics out of software development? They'd need to be mentally ill to consider something like this, as it benefits absolutely nobody, certainly not Ukraine...

I suppose it's a good thing that it's open source then and someone can just fork it and add support for such cpus back in if they need it, I've felt like the open source community has been slipping ever since more and more politics that have absolutely nothing to do with free software or software development have been snuck in by some loudmouth sjws.

Politics don't belong here, besides ones related to software, particularly rights of software users and software developers. Maybe with a little stretching we could even go as far as to add things like right to repair and other hardware related htings since those are at least strongly related.

But which country is at war with what country? It's got nothing to do with software, never has, and certainly shouldn't start now.
          There's many things I can say about this but I'll keep it short. I don't agree with you at all.

Comment

So you compare China to Russia why exactly then? You want to tell me, that Russia surrounded
            by hostile NATO alliance, who warned Ukraine for many years not to join NATO(and Ukraine did not listen)
            So Russia is allowed to dictate an independent country what to do and what not? Oh, I forgot. Ukraine is ruled by evil Nazis according to Putin. Fun fact: The president of the Ukraine is a Jew.

Also, the mayor difference between what happens in China and in Ukraine is that China is doing these things to their own people - like it or not, it happens inside their borders.

Comment

fair war between "brother"(not anymore!) nations.
              How do you define 'a fair war '?

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post
                [..] which is worse than anything China has done recently [..]
                Gee, I guess those Uyghurs must count their blessings. They work as slave labour, but at least they're not being invaded by a military!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCrayon View Post

Gee, I guess those Uyghurs must count their blessings. They work as slave labour, but at least they're not being invaded by a military!
                  Die during an invasion, work as a slave. Though one.

But obviously, the op referred to extra-national activity of China, I presume. I mean, Russia is also not every open to russian people not following their national doctrine.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Die during an invasion, work as a slave. Though one.

But obviously, the op referred to extra-national activity of China, I presume. I mean, Russia is also not every open to russian people not following their national doctrine.
                    No goverment is very open to people not following official line. USA is not exception from this.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                      You should at least try to have some empathy. There are people for whom this is a very emotive issue, and if they're being asked to review and accept patches from what they consider to be a hostile foreign power, then I can understand why they might refuse.

Okay, so you're clearly not above politics, either.

Not a very compelling argument, IMO. If you care about de-politicizing software projects, then the most winning argument would probably explore the likely downsides of taking this route.

Of course, free software is about a diversity of approaches and viewpoints. So, there will always be some projects on either end of the spectrum. Even so, there's probably a point where most would consider it too contrary to their own existential priorities to remain fully-cooperative with all contributors.

Would you consider taking up arms to fight a hostile, invading force? But you'll still accept they're patches that are intended primarily to benefit their government and military machinery? It's not a theoretical question, for some.
                      On the other hand they might also be frineds with the university people that develop Elbrus... the military isn't the be all and end all of those CPUs and you can buy them in the normal market in Russia....it just doesn't make sense to sell them anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                      X