OpenBLAS Deciding Whether To Drop Support For Russia's Elbrus CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    "yes, because US intervention in Afghanistan is exactly the same as Russia's in Ukraine..."

it was worst.
    A lot of Afghans didn't seem to think so, given how much sadness there was and how many terror-stricken people were fleeing the country, at the US' departure.

Comment

• Originally posted by leipero View Post
      This shows true values of "democracy and freedom", open hunt on anything Russian, sports, students at universities (yup, that's actualy happening), companies and people etc.
      I can understand about sports teams competing under the Russian flag. They are representatives of their country. However, I think they should have the option to compete under a neutral flag, like what Formula 1 has proposed.

Companies fall under economic sanctions, which is unfortunate, but some of their revenues eventually ends up in State coffers.

As for students and other people of Russian nationality, origin, heritage, etc. I absolutely condemn any targeting or harassment of them, in any way. I hope that is a very small number of cases, and even that would be a shame.

What the world opposes is Putin's actions. It's not Russians or even Russia that's the issue. I wish for a new chapter in Russia's history, when it can flourish in peace and civility. Sadly, that doesn't seem to align with Putin's vision.

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
        And you don't consider a ground invasion and being showered with missiles and bombs provocation?

Then why didn't they just go into eastern Ukraine?

The regular Ukrainian army is fighting the separatists, in the east. I don't know if there are also paramilitary groups, but the main fighting is with the regular army because they were trying to keep their land from being stolen by Russia.

Except most of it is a frozen wilderness. But, what Putin really wants in Ukraine is most of all to make sure his own people don't see an example of a successful democracy on their doorstep, consisting of people like them.

You guys seem to hear so much about how bad democracy is. Now, why do you think that's what you're being told?
        You're doing a good job, it seems Russian disinformation agents are out in full force on here... It's unbelievable that some on here are actually justifying the invasion and indiscriminate attacks on civilians as removing nazis - apparently there are about 44 million nazis in Ukraine.

If anything Putin and his cronies are the real nazis. In the great motherland even 7-year olds are now arrested when they say they want peace - how much lower can you go? Oh, OK, attack a nuclear power station. What next?

I've come to the conclusion that there is only one way out of this conflict - the removal of Putin.

Comment

• I find it fascinating how so many Russians (or at least the ones you hear from) seem to find NATO so threatening and scary, and feel like they are being almost attacked by it.

Because, as someone who lives in a NATO country, I can tell you that all of us gave absolutely zero thought to Russia. I mean every now and then there'd be some slight annoyance from a ransomware group based in Russia and it would be annoying that Putin seemed to be encouraging them, but that's the extent of it. Russia wouldn't even cross people's minds except about once a year very briefly, probably in sports.

Perhaps it's a bit different among the eastern european countries. I could see that they might have old memories of the USSR there which the rest of NATO doesn't, but they have no real influence over anything.

Of course that's all changed now. I was pretty convinced NATO was just going to die off in the next 20 years as people stopped caring about it, but this war has certainly reinvigorated it. Europe actually cares now, and this probably ensures it sticks around another 50 years until the current generation starts dying out.
          Last edited by smitty3268; 04 March 2022, 12:55 AM.

Comment

• Reading through it, all the political things aside. Was anyone in OpenBLAS team had access to Elbrus to even test these codes on the hardware?

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              I find it fascinating how so many Russians (or at least the ones you hear from) seem to find NATO so threatening and scary, and feel like they are being almost attacked by it.

Because, as someone who lives in a NATO country, I can tell you that all of us gave absolutely zero thought to Russia. I mean every now and then there'd be some slight annoyance from a ransomware group based in Russia and it would be annoying that Putin seemed to be encouraging them, but that's the extent of it. Russia wouldn't even cross people's minds except about once a year very briefly, probably in sports.

Perhaps it's a bit different among the eastern european countries. I could see that they might have old memories of the USSR there which the rest of NATO doesn't, but they have no real influence over anything.

Of course that's all changed now. I was pretty convinced NATO was just going to die off in the next 20 years as people stopped caring about it, but this war has certainly reinvigorated it. Europe actually cares now, and this probably ensures it sticks around another 50 years until the current generation starts dying out.
              Agreed. Putin is running out of non-NATO neighbours he hasn't invaded/subjugated yet. He can't invade a NATO country or blatantly rig elections like in Belarus, so he really hates NATO - and it's not because NATO poses a threat, but because it severely limits the possibility of recreating the old soviet union.

Indeed, Putin has not just revived NATO, he has actually revitalised it. NATO will become much stronger and more countries will join (even Finland and Sweden are now considering it). So Putin can expect more military bases along Russia's borders, more troops and more missiles... Exactly what he wanted, right?

As for information from Russia, their many invasions have been in the news. And their cruel habit of flattening whole city blocks with everyone in it is well known across the world. There are claims they even deliberately target hospitals and health workers after attacks (no health care for wounded soldiers results in fewer soldiers, it's really that simple).

Comment

• Originally posted by PerformanceExpert View Post
                I've come to the conclusion that there is only one way out of this conflict - the removal of Putin.
                I don't go that far. It seems unlikely that Putin will back down, but I think it's possible he'd accept taking only eastern Ukraine. At this point, that would be Zelenskyy's least-bad option.

Still, it wouldn't guarantee the same thing not just happening again, but the conflict's current path seems to be one paved with unbounded death and destruction. So, even if ceding eastern Ukraine only buys a few years time, that's a few years many Ukrainians (and a some unfortunate Russian soldiers) wouldn't otherwise have.

As for Putin, I think it's ultimately the Russians who should sort out their governance problems. I'm not just being oblique, I really mean that.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  I find it fascinating how so many Russians (or at least the ones you hear from) seem to find NATO so threatening and scary, and feel like they are being almost attacked by it.
                  It's no accident. Putin needs an enemy to distract people from how poorly their country is being run.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  as someone who lives in a NATO country, I can tell you that all of us gave absolutely zero thought to Russia.
                  You don't worry about election meddling and their Internet Research Agency sewing disinformation and disunity among your citizens? You didn't worry about Trump?

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  I was pretty convinced NATO was just going to die off in the next 20 years as people stopped caring about it, but this war has certainly reinvigorated it. Europe actually cares now, and this probably ensures it sticks around another 50 years
                  Isn't that the ultimate irony? It basically proves that NATO isn't his real concern!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lecedy View Post
                    Reading through it, all the political things aside. Was anyone in OpenBLAS team had access to Elbrus to even test these codes on the hardware?
                    It's not their problem, if it doesn't work on ELBRUS. They basically just get patches submitted by people who do use those CPUs. It's on those folks to test & fix any bugs OpenBLAS has on their hardware.

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
                      First, they didn't. Second, if Russia isn't trying to take land from its neighbors, then it has no need to worry about NATO. You've been brainwashed into believing NATO is your enemy, but that's only true if you make an enemy of NATO.
                      lol, You never know that Russia is in a sense "asked" to become the enemy of NATO. Russia's three requests to join NATO were rejected. Why? Because without the enemy, the military alliance will have no meaning.

And, Why should I be friendly to NATO? I support the EU, the African Union and other alliances aimed at economic development. But as a military alliance, all the meaning of its existence is to seek war. I have always believed that when there is no military alliance in the world, the world will be more peaceful.

Comment

Working...
                      X