Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux On The Apple M1 Preparing Better Performance With In-Development CPUFreq Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux On The Apple M1 Preparing Better Performance With In-Development CPUFreq Driver

Phoronix: Linux On The Apple M1 Preparing Better Performance With In-Development CPUFreq Driver

As with most modern SoCs/processors, proper CPU frequency scaling / performance state management is absolutely critical for achieving good performance out of the hardware either for ensuring the CPU is hitting its capable performance states and also to reduce power consumption / heat when not needed in order to avoid thermal throttling and prolonging battery life. Fortunately, a proper CPUFreq driver for the Apple M1 is in development for Linux and is allowing for a combination of enticing performance and good battery life for this community-driven, open-source support around the Apple Silicon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to see a heavy weight developer like Axboe joining the project!

Comment

So, how long is it for a macos to compile linux? Is it neck to neck with linux on the same hardware?

Comment

I wish I could buy a ARM or RISC-V powered laptop from Dell or Lenovo. I don't want x86 when the Apple M1 is 2.6x faster.

Comment

LOL, what makes you think that another ARM or RISC-V CPU will be faster? There are no other CPUs as fast as M1 outside of x86. If you want something faster you will have to pick a Zen3/4 APU.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

INTEL I7 1185g7
            https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-with-ipu.html
            has 4 cores + HT

And Apple M1 PRO

has 6 or 8 big cores + 2 small cores

So what do you expect ?
            real cores are REAL
            2x more real cores => 2x faster
            Last edited by miskol; 16 February 2022, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post
              INTEL I7 1185g7
              has 4 cores + HT

And Apple M1 PRO

So what do you expect ?
              real cores are REAL
              The Intel one uses more power, is hotter and has less cores with makes it inferior.
              So yes, the Intel one is worse, it doesn't meter how much cores with one have when the worse performance still uses more power.
              That is a perfectly fair comparison.

Comment

The Apple M1 Max should allow even faster kernel builds.
                This is not true. The Apple M1 Max has the exact same CPU as the M1 Pro. The main difference between the two is the GPU and the memory subsystem. The M1 Max has 32 GPU cores and a memory bandwidth of up to 400GB/s, while the Pro has 16 GPU cores and a memory bandwidth of up to 200GB/s.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post
                  INTEL I7 1185g7
                  has 4 cores + HT

And Apple M1 PRO

So what do you expect ?
                  real cores are REAL
                  yeah, but the MacBook Pro costs less than the X1, and it's that much faster. And it's more power efficient as well. the MSRP of that X1 Gen 9 is 3,439.00. The MSRP of the 14 Inch MacBook Pro is 2,499.00 for the M1 Pro with 8 CPU cores.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post

This is not true. The Apple M1 Max has the exact same CPU as the M1 Pro. The main difference between the two is the GPU and the memory subsystem. The M1 Max has 32 GPU cores and a memory bandwidth of up to 400GB/s, while the Pro has 16 GPU cores and a memory bandwidth of up to 200GB/s.
                    Actually, there are two versions of the M1 Pro when looking at just the CPU. One has 10 cores (2E 8P) while the other has 8 cores (2E 6P). https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Apple_M1_Pro_and_M1_Max

I didn't know this for the longest time. It's really confusing they didn't give the 8 Core M1 Pro a different name.
                    Last edited by Mitch; 16 February 2022, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X