Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Open-Source Patches Continue Surfacing For AMD's Sabrina SoC

Phoronix: More Open-Source Patches Continue Surfacing For AMD's Sabrina SoC

The Linux and Coreboot support for the AMD "Sabrina" SoC continues to be worked on while recently Google has merged a new motherboard target for a Sabrina-powered Chromebook...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Chromebooks - so cheap, which means small silicon size.
    But LPDDR5 and latest Zen, and latest audio, it seems.

Maybe a next-generation Van Gogh style chip (steamdeck) with improved CPU cores, but still small? N6 as a cheaper process than N5.

Comment

Maybe it is missing ACPI CPPC because it will be comprised solely of Zen 4C cores?

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
        Chromebooks - so cheap, which means small silicon size.
        But LPDDR5 and latest Zen, and latest audio, it seems.

Maybe a next-generation Van Gogh style chip (steamdeck) with improved CPU cores, but still small? N6 as a cheaper process than N5.
        This was kind of my thinking as well. This being the publicly available variant of what is in the Steam Deck which is classified as being dedicated specifically to Steam. The timing would fit as Steam should now have their first batch of chips for the Steam Deck since it is shipping pronto.

In any case with RDNA and made for Chromebooks it might be a good answer for micro HTPC builds.

Comment

I think "cheap" is the right direction to look when talking about Chromebooks. I think Van Gogh chip is too large to be economical there.

Perhaps it is that rumoured AMD Monet APU which was reported on last year, but that is just baseless speculation on my part.
          Last edited by chithanh; 15 February 2022, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad42 View Post
            Maybe it is missing ACPI CPPC because it will be comprised solely of Zen 4C cores?
            What does Zen 4C cores have to do with them not supporting ACPI CPPC?
            Do you want to imply that a CPU governor will be unnecessary on them because they will be frequency-controlled solely by on-chip logic?

And since people like to talk about the Steam Deck:

Michael

​​​​​​​Since You are already in possession of a Steam Deck, why are You not allowed to talk about it already, when a YouTuber is already showing off benchmarks for it & thus raking in all that sweet Google ad-money?
            Here, take a look for Yourself:

BTW, it's totally okay when You thank me later for that...

Also, for any clueless doubters out there (like shmerl):

The above benchmarks prove that you should always activate in-game Vsync - always!
            (That includes using a frame-limiter like the one GameScope thankfully provides.)

You're welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
              The above benchmarks prove that you should always activate in-game Vsync - always!
              No, thanks. It disables adaptive sync for me, so no need for pointless advice.

Besides, modern games should have more sophisticated config options than old "vsync on" / "vsync off" that are outdated these days. Something to match more modern semantics of presentation modes, including mailbox ("enhanced sync" or however else it's called) and so on.

See: https://www.khronos.org/registry/vul...ntModeKHR.html

And if you have old games, run them through Vulkan by means of dxvk, vkd3d-proton or zink and control things with MESA_VK_WSI_PRESENT_MODE variable.
              Last edited by shmerl; 16 February 2022, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                I think "cheap" is the right direction to look when talking about Chromebooks. I think Van Gogh chip is too large to be economical there.

Perhaps it is that rumoured AMD Monet APU which was reported on last year, but that is just baseless speculation on my part.
                I don't think Van Gogh would be too large or expensive for a Chromebook. It's smaller and cheaper than Cezanne and Rembrandt.

It's true that the rumored Monet design on GlobalFoundries 12LP+ would be perfect though. Smaller GPU, cheaper node, not competing for wafers with other AMD products.

Leaked roadmaps showed "Dragon Crest" as a refresh of Van Gogh, so keep that codename in mind.

Comment

Skyrim? Really?

I used to build new SoC platforms too, until I took an arrow to the knee

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                    And since people like to talk about the Steam Deck:

Michael

​​​​​​​Since You are already in possession of a Steam Deck, why are You not allowed to talk about it already, when a YouTuber is already showing off benchmarks for it & thus raking in all that sweet Google ad-money?
                    Here, take a look for Yourself:
                    Valve is rather strange with their embargoes in allowing select sites only earlier embargoes that are restricted to certain games and certain other criteria.... (Short of like an earlier unboxing embargo date that applies to all sites prior to actual review embargo lift, I don't recall ever another hardware company having such selective embargoes.)
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X