Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Expected To Complete Its Acquisition Of Xilinx Next Week

Phoronix: AMD Expected To Complete Its Acquisition Of Xilinx Next Week

AMD just announced that it has received approval from all necessary regulators to proceed with its acquisition of Xilinx...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm surprised it has taken so long.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I'm surprised it has taken so long.

Why?
      ARM Nvidia deal was started

NVIDIA to Acquire Arm for $40 Billion, Creating World’s Premier Computing Company for the Age of AI

Sunday, September 13, 2020
      https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/n...-the-age-of-ai

And they still did not receieved agreements or bans on it. For nvidia there was definitive reuslt planned to annonced in April 2022 at earliest when they annonced termination, yesterday

AMD and Xilinx started on October 27th 2020

AMD to Acquire Xilinx, Creating the Industry’s High Performance Computing Leader

SILICON VALLEY, CALIF.
      10/27/2020
      https://www.amd.com/en/press-release...ance-computing

You need allowed result form all antitrust offices in all states or regions where one of the companies sells its products

Last edited by Peter Fodrek; 10 February 2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Hehe, the Twitter post could be also interpretated as an order to the facility managers to get the new signs and flags ready next week.

But more seriously, congrats for the successful merger! I hope we consumers get better products out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          I hope we consumers get better products out of this.
          This is primarily a play for where the real money is, i.e. the hyperscalers (and specific (deep learning?) type workloads), and the financial industry (ultra low latency trading), where FPGAs already are in wide use, and every picosecond of delay can count. After Intel bought a FPGA company (Altera) to enhance their offerings AMD had to follow suit, or risk losing market share.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

This is primarily a play for where the real money is, i.e. the hyperscalers (and specific (deep learning?) type workloads), and the financial industry (ultra low latency trading), where FPGAs already are in wide use, and every picosecond of delay can count. After Intel bought a FPGA company (Altera) to enhance their offerings AMD had to follow suit, or risk losing market share.

but There is differnece

August 21, 2019
            Gartner in a report last April,
            Xilinx has a 51 percent share, compared with
            Intel at 36 percent and followed by
            Microchip at 6.6 percent
            In this age of exploding “technology disaggregation” – in which the Big Bang emanating from the Intel x86 CPU has produced significant advances in CPU

, February 3, 2022,

“AMD has been extremely proactive in both working with and financing a lot of their supply chain partners here,” said Christopher Rolland, Susquehanna International Group senior equity analyst for semiconductors, in a recent interview with Yahoo Finance Live. So they are in better shape than many of their counterparts. We do think they are ultimately going to be successful in that quest.”
            AMD’s excellent earnings report and promising collaborations with supply chain partners in 2021 bodes well for the semiconductor producer’s future prospects, says Christopher Rolland, Susquehanna International Group senior equity analyst for semiconductors.

So AMD is able to allow Xilinx to produce and sell more FPGAs

Feb 2 2022
            “We believe AMD will use their most recent supply chain agreements to procure the wafers Xilinx so desperately needs,” Rolland said. “We note 70+ week lead times for many XLNX products, a condition that AMD supply should help alleviate to provide a high-value source of upside.”

Comment

AMD success. Nvidia failure. The clear sign for investors.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                AMD success. Nvidia failure. The clear sign for investors.
                Only suckers call Nvidia a failure. Nvidia have withdrawn their bid for Arm, but not because they could not afford it. It is because of businesses, who feared this deal and so allowed for politics to swoop in. Some businesses are willing to give up economic freedom out of fear, and politicians are willing to tamper with it for votes. Shows how free our economy really is.

SoftBank has abandoned its attempt to sell Arm to Nvidia and will now IPO it next year. Arm CEO Simon Segars has been replaced by Rene Haas. Softbank and

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                  Only suckers call Nvidia a failure. Nvidia have withdrawn their bid for Arm, but not because they could not afford it. It is because of businesses, who feared this deal and so allowed for politics to swoop in. Some businesses are willing to give up economic freedom out of fear, and politicians are willing to tamper with it for votes. Shows how free our economy really is.

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/ne...d-arm-2022-02/
                  on the GPU side Nvidia is in fact a Failure.

on the ARM CPU side... we could agree that nvidia should be successfull and if they fail with ARM
                  this only means Nviida should be on the RISC-V/OpenPOWER train by now.

if they go with RISCV or openpower i wish them luck and success.
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post
                    Why?
                    ARM Nvidia deal was started
                    The ARM-Nvidia deal had strong opposition the entire way through, particularly because it was a more international affair. There are also antitrust and anticompetition issues with that deal. I don't recall hearing a whole lot of people griping about the Xilinx acquisition, and it's an American company buying out another American company, so it's a lot less complicated. So to me, there didn't seem to be as much in the way of completing the acquisition sooner. Then again, I don't know how long it normally takes.

Comment

Working...
                    X