x86 Straight Line Speculation CPU Mitigation Appears For Linux 5.17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x86 Straight Line Speculation CPU Mitigation Appears For Linux 5.17

Phoronix: x86 Straight Line Speculation CPU Mitigation Appears For Linux 5.17

The Linux 5.17 kernel is introducing support for the x86 straight-line speculation "SLS" mitigation with it becoming increasingly clear modern x86_64 CPUs are susceptible to speculatively executing linearly in memory past an unconditional change in control flow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awful lot of work for something they're leaving waiting in the wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
      Awful lot of work for something they're leaving waiting in the wings.
      I agree, Intel devs know more than they are letting on, I bet a large subset of their processors are vulnerable to this and they are just trying to keep the lid on it for now until mitigations get in place.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I agree, Intel devs know more than they are letting on, I bet a large subset of their processors are vulnerable to this and they are just trying to keep the lid on it for now until mitigations get in place.
        I think they just want to delay flipping it on as long as possible. It's an admission of defeat.

Comment

Yeah, more slowdowns needed. People just have to buy new CPUs.

Comment

Working...
          X