Intel Core i5 12400 "Alder Lake": A Great ~$200 CPU For Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post

The price difference in Germany (see links below) is about 50 EUR, but the 5600G is much more powerfull as MadCatX noted. And both CPUs are in stock.

Ryzen 5 5600G on Mindfactory: ~230 EUR
    https://www.mindfactory.de/search_re...=Ryzen+5+5600G

Intel Core i5 12400F: ~185 EUR
    https://www.mindfactory.de/product_i...X_1440079.html
    5600g is probably better value if you intend to use it with its iGPU. But if you have a discrete GPU, there is just no comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
      Nah man, I don't want anything to do with Intel's buggy CPUs.
      What bugs precisely? Could you enlighten us please?

Are you talking HW vulnerabilities? Ryzen 3 and the last three generations of Intel CPUs (ICL, RKL and ADL) are more or less the same in this regard.

Lastly, Michael has shown that ADL CPUs are less slowed down/affected by mitigations than Zen 3 CPUs - up to 7% performance loss.
      Last edited by birdie; 13 January 2022, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
        That's 12400F which is the iGPU-less version. 12400 non-F sells for about 25 € more.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
          That's 12400F which is the iGPU-less version. 12400 non-F sells for about 25 € more.
          Thanks for the clarification, I missed the "F" - because that was the only CPU I got searching for 12400.
          Then the difference would only be about 30 EUR with the 12400 NOT being in stock (at mindfactory.de).

Edit: The price for the 12400 is about ~205 EUR and is in stock at alternate.de
          Online einkaufen beim Testsieger: Mehrfacher Versender des Jahres, Sieger im Webshop-Test! Tolle Neuheiten & Bestseller, ausgezeichneter Service!
          Last edited by baka0815; 13 January 2022, 07:33 AM.

Comment

AMD 5nm incoming this year which I fully expect to blow Alder Lake out of the water, I'll keep my cash for now thanks.

Comment

You have to keep in mind that the 5600G packs a much more powerful GPU than the 12400 so it's not a particularly good comparison.
              True. When my daughter built her first PC she didn't afford a good graphics card. She bought an APU and gamed on that until she got an AMD 5700 card.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

What? Show me one clear example of 200$ APU from amd you can buy today that is better than Intel..... Because in my country the 5600G, which is the only one you can buy (3XXX series is gone), is close to 300 euros....
                Newegg had some 3400Gs going for $194 last night. For games that should be just as good as the $209 Intel in the article. For $99 Amazon has 2c/4t Athlon 3000 APUs...just saying that they also have a cheap CPU that competes with Celerons. Budget builds are covered. You just have to search your ass off to find a good deal. New 3600Gs can be bought for under $200 if you're lucky at auction.

Due to the GPU shortage all the CPUs with iGPUs have inflated prices. My $250 4650G APU costs at least $30 more than when I bought it in February last year...it actually costs more than the 5600G and is a weaker chip. At one point it was only $229. $20 more than the i5 12400.

New 5600Gs are $250 and the cheapest 4650G I could find was $279. It looks like most of the grey market OEM APUs like I have have been bought up. Before I looked today I'd have been confident that 4300/4350Gs and the 5000 equivalents would cost around $180 and that the 6 core models would be $20-$50 more than that. That's about what they cost the last time I looked (before Christmas).

All things considered, $220-$250 isn't that bad for 6-cores with the graphics capabilities that can do 1080p gaming at acceptable settings and frame rates. These days, that blanket statement represents both companies.

Can we wait until mid-February or so to have the $200 CPU discussion? Let places get some more stock and allow time for market prices to normalize.

Anyone want to buy my APU at current market value so I can upgrade to Zen 3 and have beer money left over

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

That depends sort of. When Intel has less GPU power here, Intel has on board Quicksync encoder and AV1 decoding that AMD doesn't. So if you are not gaming, Intel GPU is actually better.
                  I know, right? About all I can think is that AMD wants us to move on to an RDNA2 APU on AM5 or, what I freaking hope for, an AM4 RDNA2 APU -- It would be the shit if AMD hooked us up with that before moving on to AM5 for good.

Comment

F is also what you say when you get home and realize you don't have an iGPU. Kudos on Intel for such an appropriate distinction letter.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

F is also what you say when you get home and realize you don't have an iGPU. Kudos on Intel for such an appropriate distinction letter.
                      More like you get home, turn on your PC, your dGPU suddenly dies and then you remember that you don't have an iGPU.

Comment

Working...
                      X