Intel Core i5 12400 "Alder Lake": A Great ~$200 CPU For Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    It's not like we can't already buy $200 APUs from AMD that have equal to better graphics performance and slightly less processing power. The way I see it, for $200 we can pick AMD for budget gaming builds and Intel for budget CPU intensive builds. People who don't care about gaming or compiling can buy from either brand and will be happy.

Going forward I think AMD is going to try to get the majority of us custom builders (as well as OEMs) on $250-350 APUs and have us upgrade every other year so we get both CPU and GPU upgrades in an all-in-one package.
    What? Show me one clear example of 200$ APU from amd you can buy today that is better than Intel..... Because in my country the 5600G, which is the only one you can buy (3XXX series is gone), is close to 300 euros....

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

i think issue here is more that AMD made universal chiplet design that has 8 cores and use it everywhere depending on binning/errors as 6 core or 8 core and diffrent frequencies.

That means at best and worst in foundry production they cannot really scale down beyond 6 cores (unless they have some wierd chip that has so many defects on cores to be sold as 4 cores). Sooo unless AMD designs chiplets for 4 core CPUs, it is entirly pointless. It wasn't that issue in Zen 1/Zen 2 as there one chiplet had 4/6 cores but here it is .
      There was a time when competition and the free market actually worked, and perfect manufacturing processes with perfect yields resulted in cheaper products, instead of fatter profits.... There is no reason not to pass the savings to the consumer....

I mean, i can expect justifying this garbage behavior if you are a shareholder or an AMD employee, but a consumer cheering for getting it from behind by the big corporations and giving them excuses?

Comment

I checked local prices to provide some context, because I find that what's reported in these articles generally isn't very helpful to me.

5600G + a cheap MB = $325
        12400 + cheapest ddr4 MB = $360
        5700G + MB = $395

So it's actually priced right in the middle of the two AMD chips. Performance is pretty good overall, with a slow iGPU, decent multithreading performance and power use, and really good single-threaded performance. Overall the best option, though it's not running away from AMD quite as much as the article makes it appear.
        Last edited by smitty3268; 13 January 2022, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

There was a time when competition and the free market actually worked, and perfect manufacturing processes with perfect yields resulted in cheaper products, instead of fatter profits.... There is no reason not to pass the savings to the consumer....

I mean, i can expect justifying this garbage behavior if you are a shareholder or an AMD employee, but a consumer cheering for getting it from behind by the big corporations and giving them excuses?
          AMD has enjoyed a cult following ever since they beat Intel with Zen 2 CPUs, and more so among Linux users for some reasons. Maybe it's a perfect match: an underdog OS and an underdog CPU company (even despite the fact that AMD has stopped competing price-wise since Zen 2).

Comment

Ok, now I want to compare my old Haswell i5 APU performance to the performance of those Ryzens - how can I do that with OpenBenchmarking?

Comment

Nah man, I don't want anything to do with Intel's buggy CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                Nah man, I don't want anything to do with Intel's buggy CPUs.
                So you prefer to go with AMD's buggy platform instead?
                This isn't 2018/19 anymore, when new security flaws were discovered almost every month in Intel CPU's.
                Last edited by user1; 13 January 2022, 06:47 AM.

Comment

That's a pretty decent show for a budget CPU that you can actually buy right away. I love how the 12400 can sometimes outperform 12600K and use less power.

Dangerous thought: A chip with 8 Golden Cove cores and no E-cores would probably be a blast.

Comment

What? Show me one clear example of 200$ APU from amd you can buy today that is better than Intel..... Because in my country the 5600G, which is the only one you can buy (3XXX series is gone), is close to 300 euros....
                    You have to keep in mind that the 5600G packs a much more powerful GPU than the 12400 so it's not a particularly good comparison.

Comment

The price difference in Germany (see links below) is about 50 EUR, but the 5600G is much more powerfull as MadCatX noted. And both CPUs are in stock.

Ryzen 5 5600G on Mindfactory: ~230 EUR
                      https://www.mindfactory.de/search_re...=Ryzen+5+5600G

Intel Core i5 12400F: ~185 EUR
                      https://www.mindfactory.de/product_i...X_1440079.html

Comment

Working...
                      X