Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core i5 12400 "Alder Lake": A Great ~$200 CPU For Linux Users

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Core i5 12400 "Alder Lake": A Great ~$200 CPU For Linux Users

    Phoronix: Intel Core i5 12400 "Alder Lake": A Great ~$200 CPU For Linux Users

    Formally announced at CES, the Core i5 12400 and other Alder Lake non-K desktop CPUs are beginning to appear in retail channels. Last week I was able to buy an Intel Core i5 12400 "Alder Lake" from a major Internet retailer for $209 USD -- and one week later there remains availability during these turbulent supply chain times. The i5-12400 has wound up being a very nice processor for Linux use that exceeded my initial expectations.

    https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=30851

  • #2
    I have a feeling AMD won't respond to sub $250. We're already over a year from Zen 3 launch and nothing came out except for OEMs. Add that at CES, they felt compelled to respond with 3D cache for the higher end but never said anything about lower end parts. They seem to not care about budget DIY desktop anymore.
    abu_shawarib
    Phoronix Member
    Last edited by abu_shawarib; 12 January 2022, 04:54 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post
      They seem to not care about budget DIY desktop anymore.
      Consumer SKUs only cost AMD money by blocking waver contingents for server/HPC. Chances are you can totally forget about AMD for many years to come when you care about performance/price ratio for products <500€/$. RX 6600/6500 cards are already a mockery of their own customers.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's not like we can't already buy $200 APUs from AMD that have equal to better graphics performance and slightly less processing power. The way I see it, for $200 we can pick AMD for budget gaming builds and Intel for budget CPU intensive builds. People who don't care about gaming or compiling can buy from either brand and will be happy.

        Going forward I think AMD is going to try to get the majority of us custom builders (as well as OEMs) on $250-350 APUs and have us upgrade every other year so we get both CPU and GPU upgrades in an all-in-one package.

        Comment


        • #5
          The CPU is all right, but the mobo selection must improve. You don't need a Z690 board for these (not many were DDR4 model have been released, though many have been announced), H670 board announcements you can probably count on your fingers, leaving only B660 boards for these chips. And while I'm sure B660 will be enough for many, it is cut down enough to not be enough for everybody.

          But again, nice performance, nice power draw.

          Comment


          • #6
            Still waiting for Intel to start mass production of the Alder Lake Pentiums and Celerons.

            As of right now all the domestic mini-PC OEMs in China are still churning out Gemini Lake systems and Jasper Lakes remain uncommon enough.

            Comment


            • #7
              Michael
              Phoronix
              Michael

              When are You planning to release the article looking at the various governors on Alder Lake?
              I know the result exists because I've already seen it out there...

              Also, I had totally forgotten that the previous title to my previous game suggestion is actually available through Steam & also includes a built-in Vulkan benchmark!

              Here it is:



              https://store.steampowered.com/app/3...bow_Six_Siege/

              Now, as usual with Steam, You've got 2 hours for free to see if You can automate that benchmark with the PTS.

              Good luck!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                It's not like we can't already buy $200 APUs from AMD that have equal to better graphics performance and slightly less processing power. The way I see it, for $200 we can pick AMD for budget gaming builds and Intel for budget CPU intensive builds. People who don't care about gaming or compiling can buy from either brand and will be happy.

                Going forward I think AMD is going to try to get the majority of us custom builders (as well as OEMs) on $250-350 APUs and have us upgrade every other year so we get both CPU and GPU upgrades in an all-in-one package.
                That depends sort of. When Intel has less GPU power here, Intel has on board Quicksync encoder and AV1 decoding that AMD doesn't. So if you are not gaming, Intel GPU is actually better.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  Consumer SKUs only cost AMD money by blocking waver contingents for server/HPC. Chances are you can totally forget about AMD for many years to come when you care about performance/price ratio for products <500€/$. RX 6600/6500 cards are already a mockery of their own customers.
                  i think issue here is more that AMD made universal chiplet design that has 8 cores and use it everywhere depending on binning/errors as 6 core or 8 core and diffrent frequencies.

                  That means at best and worst in foundry production they cannot really scale down beyond 6 cores (unless they have some wierd chip that has so many defects on cores to be sold as 4 cores). Sooo unless AMD designs chiplets for 4 core CPUs, it is entirly pointless. It wasn't that issue in Zen 1/Zen 2 as there one chiplet had 4/6 cores but here it is .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Intel has owned the sub 300$ market with Rocket Lake as well.... AMD is just fanboism and "muh underdog" but reality is that Intel has better offerings at all levels, great mainstream consumer skus and great workstation/server skus. Or at least competitive. Remember the times when AMD was supposedly "cheap" just because they had nothing to compete at the higher levels? Now that they do not trash Intel, just "compete", they have priced them sky high.... So much consumer friendly AMD is.... NOT.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X