Linux 5.17 Adds Support For "The First Usable, Low-Cost RISC-V Platform"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.17 Adds Support For "The First Usable, Low-Cost RISC-V Platform"

Phoronix: Linux 5.17 Adds Support For "The First Usable, Low-Cost RISC-V Platform"

In addition to the prompt support for Qualcomm's Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, another exciting milestone for the in-development Linux 5.17 kernel is introducing mainline support for the StarFive JH7100, which has been trying to make its debut as the first usable and low-cost RISC-V platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those boards are neat, though I do not regret buying the Unmatched at all, its such a nice system and surprisingly fast, its just so sad that I have to pair it with a Nvidia GPU in those dark times.

For those who are asking, it runs Gnome Shell just fine, a lot more fine then Xfce or other X11 based desktops. On such devices with very limited CPU speed and memory interface speed, you really feel the overhead of composited Xorg. Sure I could run Xfce without a compositor but why should I.

The only thing that really sucks so far is everything that contains rust has a nearly 0% chance of compiling and working, so no Firefox for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
      Those boards are neat, though I do not regret buying the Unmatched at all, its such a nice system and surprisingly fast, its just so sad that I have to pair it with a Nvidia GPU in those dark times.

For those who are asking, it runs Gnome Shell just fine, a lot more fine then Xfce or other X11 based desktops. On such devices with very limited CPU speed and memory interface speed, you really feel the overhead of composited Xorg. Sure I could run Xfce without a compositor but why should I.

The only thing that really sucks so far is everything that contains rust has a nearly 0% chance of compiling and working, so no Firefox for example.
      Is Rust support somehow foreseenable in the future or already scheduled?

Besides to what more known device can you compare the performance?
      Last edited by CochainComplex; 12 January 2022, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Is Rust support somehow foreseenable in the future or already scheduled?

Besides to what more known device can you compare the performance?

Comment

... Unmatched ... surprisingly fast...
          what is your output for
          Code:
          cryptsetup benchmark
          and
          Code:
          uname -r && cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/ && grep . *
          ?

Last edited by elatllat; 12 January 2022, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I am still waiting for a board that hosts at least 4 StarFive dubhe riscv cpus..
            The working frequency of Dubhe can reach 2GHz@TSMC 12nm, with SPECint2006 of 8.9/GHz, Dhrystone of 6.6 DMIPS/MHz and CoreMark of 7.6/MHz.
            ho yay..

Comment

Thx. Ok not bad, comparable to an oc4
              so 175$ for a new early adopter plattform in "consumer" fields is quite good.
              I'm really tempted to but missing rust support (at least yet) makes it difficult for a plain webbrowsing/multimedia box just for fun...
              Well I will think about it. Its time to support x86 alternatives.

I would really love to own a modern PPC architecture powerd device but Raptor Products are still out of my financial reach and old G5 Macs are getting to old for a good Performance/Watt ratio. Frankly said I don't want to waste 500W to have a raspberry pi 4 equivalent performance.

It seems this can be a quit nice compromise - or lets rephrase it : good starting point I guess.

Comment

I would really love to own a modern PPC architecture powerd device but Raptor Products are still out of my financial reach and old G5 Macs are getting to old for a good Performance/Watt ratio. Frankly said I don't want to waste 500W to have a raspberry pi 4 equivalent performance.
                I am also eyeing a sbc or a laptop with PPC on it
                if you scroll down to the Section:
                Video of our last talks – October and November 2021
                You will see there 2 presentations,
                one for the laptop donation campaign( at the moment they are facing components shortage.. pandemic.. ), and the other for a new PPC sbc board "DJango" both will run Debian..

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                  Code:
                  cryptsetup benchmark
                  # Tests are approximate using memory only (no storage IO).
                  PBKDF2-sha1 85222 iterations per second for 256-bit key
                  PBKDF2-sha256 148607 iterations per second for 256-bit key
                  PBKDF2-sha512 134570 iterations per second for 256-bit key
                  PBKDF2-ripemd160 113384 iterations per second for 256-bit key
                  PBKDF2-whirlpool 38235 iterations per second for 256-bit key
                  argon2i 4 iterations, 123144 memory, 4 parallel threads (CPUs) for 256-bit key (requested 2000 ms time)
                  argon2id 4 iterations, 124528 memory, 4 parallel threads (CPUs) for 256-bit key (requested 2000 ms time)
                  # Algorithm | Key | Encryption | Decryption
                  aes-cbc 128b 20.7 MiB/s 22.4 MiB/s
                  serpent-cbc 128b 14.4 MiB/s 16.1 MiB/s
                  twofish-cbc 128b 21.9 MiB/s 25.0 MiB/s
                  aes-cbc 256b 17.3 MiB/s 17.8 MiB/s
                  serpent-cbc 256b 15.3 MiB/s 16.1 MiB/s
                  twofish-cbc 256b 23.0 MiB/s 25.0 MiB/s
                  aes-xts 256b 23.1 MiB/s 24.0 MiB/s
                  serpent-xts 256b 15.0 MiB/s 16.2 MiB/s
                  twofish-xts 256b 23.6 MiB/s 25.0 MiB/s
                  aes-xts 512b 18.9 MiB/s 18.8 MiB/s
                  serpent-xts 512b 15.8 MiB/s 16.2 MiB/s
                  twofish-xts 512b 25.0 MiB/s 25.1 MiB/s

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                  Code:
                  uname -r && cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/ && grep . *
                  I run kernel 5.13.0-1007-generic(compiling 5.16 on it with either the GCC or LLVM on this ubuntu version crashes at compilation, so for now I am stuck on that kernel) and there is no /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/

Don't get me wrong, any modern Raspberry Pi will outperform it CPU wise, but using it does not feel bad, gnome is nice and responsive on it though thats more for the show off as I usually run the machine headless.

Comment

...aes-xts 512b 18.9 MiB/s 18.8 MiB/s...
                    Thanks, clearly not targeted at fast encrypted storage.

...there is no /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/....
                    Likely they just disabled it
                    Code:
                    zgrep GENERIC_CPU_VULNERABILITIES /proc/config.gz

...compiling 5.16 on it with either the GCC or LLVM on this ubuntu version crashes at compilation...
                    Looks like some over complicated build tools are used to make the kernel https://github.com/sifive/freedom-u-sdk
                    maybe you can sift out the minimal native build steps from there.

Comment

Working...
                    X