Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD P-State Driver To Premiere In Linux 5.17 With Aim To Deliver Better Power Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ernstp
    replied
    I tried to get it to work now with 5.17-rc5, but didn't. The module is there so that's step 1. I tried adding "amd_pstate" to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and amd_pstate.shared_mem=1 to kernel cmdline. I have a Ryzen 5900X and a ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING. Modprobing it returns silently, but I guess that's because it's too late, acpi-cpufreq is already loaded by then...

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by ext73 View Post
    True = better performance and Power Efficiency Unfortunately, I can't add a screen - even if the file is 200KB, phx says 400KB ... and ... :P Below is the v7 version amd p-state:

[email protected]:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
    amd-pstate

[email protected]:~$ cat /proc/version
    Linux version 5.15.13-ext73-95.14-ryzen-3 ([email protected]) (gcc (eXt73-build_v2.1) 12.0.0 20220102 (experimental)
    , GNU ld (Binutils_eXt73-build_v4.9) 2.37) #12 SMP Wed Jan 5 11:28:48 CET 2022
    With which CPU governor?

Schedutil or Performance?

Have you done any benchmarks to compare the two on your ASUS notebook with the newest AMD-PSTATE patches?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Grim85
    replied
    So zen 2 on mobile is 4000 series? curse my early adopting nature, my laptop is a 3700U!

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by clouddrop View Post

My Gigabyte X570 board lists it under "Advanced CPU Options -> CPPC" (and CPPC Preferred Cores but this is not used by any scheduler from what I gathered in a previous discussion). There is also the same setting in the more general AMD CBS menu (NBIO -> SMU Common Options).
    Not sure if this is expected but I do not get the CPPC cpu feature flag listed in /proc/cpuinfo. Though amd-pstate appears to work fine anyways (it seems to use a shared_mem option instead if cppc flag is not found from what I read in the patch:
    Thanks, I found that setting in SMU Common Options as well for Asrock X570 Taichi. Enabled CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores. I also don't see cppc in /proc/cpuinfo after that. Is it expected to appear there?

And do you mean that this new driver isn't using CPPC Preferred Cores hints either?

Leave a comment:

• clouddrop
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    How is that CCPC option called in UEFI?
    My Gigabyte X570 board lists it under "Advanced CPU Options -> CPPC" (and CPPC Preferred Cores but this is not used by any scheduler from what I gathered in a previous discussion). There is also the same setting in the more general AMD CBS menu (NBIO -> SMU Common Options).
    Not sure if this is expected but I do not get the CPPC cpu feature flag listed in /proc/cpuinfo. Though amd-pstate appears to work fine anyways (it seems to use a shared_mem option instead if cppc flag is not found from what I read in the patch:
    This feature flag indicates the full MSR hardware solution of AMD P-States, if it is not set, that means we will go with in shared memory hardware solution.
    Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in if this is correct and what that means). Again I read before this could be due to faulty ACPI CPPC tables? Looking at /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/acpi_cppc/highest_perf numbers seem to correspond to the numbers I got from CPU-Z running windows.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by scirocco View Post
    Now for intel to get on with making a better pstate driver, so tired of manually have to put it it on performance as soon I as I want to game.
    Just disable intel_pstate. It's a crippled CPUFreq.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    How is that CCPC option called in UEFI?

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    When 5.17-rc1 is released, I intend to check 1st thing if it's worth switching to it.

Leave a comment:

• ext73
    replied
    True = better performance and Power Efficiency Unfortunately, I can't add a screen - even if the file is 200KB, phx says 400KB ... and ... :P Below is the v7 version amd p-state:

[email protected]:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
    amd-pstate

[email protected]:~$ cat /proc/version
    Linux version 5.15.13-ext73-95.14-ryzen-3 ([email protected]) (gcc (eXt73-build_v2.1) 12.0.0 20220102 (experimental)
    , GNU ld (Binutils_eXt73-build_v4.9) 2.37) #12 SMP Wed Jan 5 11:28:48 CET 2022

Leave a comment:

• scirocco
    replied
    Now for intel to get on with making a better pstate driver, so tired of manually have to put it it on performance as soon I as I want to game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X