Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD P-State Driver To Premiere In Linux 5.17 With Aim To Deliver Better Power Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD P-State Driver To Premiere In Linux 5.17 With Aim To Deliver Better Power Efficiency

Phoronix: AMD P-State Driver To Premiere In Linux 5.17 With Aim To Deliver Better Power Efficiency

The AMD P-State driver that has been available in patch form since September and stems from AMD's collaborations with Valve around the Steam Deck will be introduced to mainline with the upcoming Linux 5.17 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now for intel to get on with making a better pstate driver, so tired of manually have to put it it on performance as soon I as I want to game.

Comment

True = better performance and Power Efficiency Unfortunately, I can't add a screen - even if the file is 200KB, phx says 400KB ... and ... :P Below is the v7 version amd p-state:

ext73@ext73-ROG-Zephyrus-G14:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
      amd-pstate

ext73@ext73-ROG-Zephyrus-G14:~$ cat /proc/version
      Linux version 5.15.13-ext73-95.14-ryzen-3 (root@ext73-kernel) (gcc (eXt73-build_v2.1) 12.0.0 20220102 (experimental)
      , GNU ld (Binutils_eXt73-build_v4.9) 2.37) #12 SMP Wed Jan 5 11:28:48 CET 2022

Comment

When 5.17-rc1 is released, I intend to check 1st thing if it's worth switching to it.

Comment

How is that CCPC option called in UEFI?

Comment

Originally posted by scirocco View Post
            Now for intel to get on with making a better pstate driver, so tired of manually have to put it it on performance as soon I as I want to game.
            Just disable intel_pstate. It's a crippled CPUFreq.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              How is that CCPC option called in UEFI?
              My Gigabyte X570 board lists it under "Advanced CPU Options -> CPPC" (and CPPC Preferred Cores but this is not used by any scheduler from what I gathered in a previous discussion). There is also the same setting in the more general AMD CBS menu (NBIO -> SMU Common Options).
              Not sure if this is expected but I do not get the CPPC cpu feature flag listed in /proc/cpuinfo. Though amd-pstate appears to work fine anyways (it seems to use a shared_mem option instead if cppc flag is not found from what I read in the patch:
              This feature flag indicates the full MSR hardware solution of AMD P-States, if it is not set, that means we will go with in shared memory hardware solution.
              Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in if this is correct and what that means). Again I read before this could be due to faulty ACPI CPPC tables? Looking at /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/acpi_cppc/highest_perf numbers seem to correspond to the numbers I got from CPU-Z running windows.

Comment

Originally posted by clouddrop View Post

My Gigabyte X570 board lists it under "Advanced CPU Options -> CPPC" (and CPPC Preferred Cores but this is not used by any scheduler from what I gathered in a previous discussion). There is also the same setting in the more general AMD CBS menu (NBIO -> SMU Common Options).
                Not sure if this is expected but I do not get the CPPC cpu feature flag listed in /proc/cpuinfo. Though amd-pstate appears to work fine anyways (it seems to use a shared_mem option instead if cppc flag is not found from what I read in the patch:
                Thanks, I found that setting in SMU Common Options as well for Asrock X570 Taichi. Enabled CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores. I also don't see cppc in /proc/cpuinfo after that. Is it expected to appear there?

And do you mean that this new driver isn't using CPPC Preferred Cores hints either?

Comment

So zen 2 on mobile is 4000 series? curse my early adopting nature, my laptop is a 3700U!

Comment

Originally posted by ext73 View Post
                    True = better performance and Power Efficiency Unfortunately, I can't add a screen - even if the file is 200KB, phx says 400KB ... and ... :P Below is the v7 version amd p-state:

ext73@ext73-ROG-Zephyrus-G14:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
                    amd-pstate

ext73@ext73-ROG-Zephyrus-G14:~$ cat /proc/version
                    Linux version 5.15.13-ext73-95.14-ryzen-3 (root@ext73-kernel) (gcc (eXt73-build_v2.1) 12.0.0 20220102 (experimental)
                    , GNU ld (Binutils_eXt73-build_v4.9) 2.37) #12 SMP Wed Jan 5 11:28:48 CET 2022
                    With which CPU governor?

Schedutil or Performance?

Have you done any benchmarks to compare the two on your ASUS notebook with the newest AMD-PSTATE patches?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X