Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U - Windows vs. Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U - Windows vs. Linux Performance

With the Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Gen2 powered by the Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U prior to blowing the default Microsoft Windows installation on the device I ran some benchmarks for seeing how the performance stacks up against various Linux distributions. Going up against Windows 11 on this AMD Zen 3 laptop were Clear Linux, Fedora Workstation 35, Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS, Ubuntu 21.10, and Arch Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unintentionally, this benchmark really shows a need for targeted binaries. Seeing those results I wonder how much of Clear's performance comes from -mtune=skylake and not all the extra compiler flags...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Unintentionally, this benchmark really shows a need for targeted binaries. Seeing those results I wonder how much of Clear's performance comes from -mtune=skylake and not all the extra compiler flags...
      I was just wondering how much could be gained if the whole distro would be amd flags affine.

Comment

Where performance matters (and that's UI performance and responsiveness), Windows looks great.

What I've been asking Michael for ages however is to compare Windows to Linux in terms of power consumption when running lightweight tasks like Spotify, watching youtube, etc. That would be a great test of the whole system.

Comment

That's an impressive array of benchmarks, very nice

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            What I've been asking Michael for ages however is to compare Windows to Linux in terms of power consumption when running lightweight tasks like Spotify, watching youtube, etc. That would be a great test of the whole system.
            I want to see power consumption among distro. Like how clear linux compared to the rest

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I was just wondering how much could be gained if the whole distro would be amd flags affine.
              This is why Gentoo exists ...

Comment

Interesting, I remember around 2014, Linux was frequently outperforming Windows and MacOS in these benchmarks. I even remember one particular article like this, where Linux was obliterating MacOS on a Macbook air. Seems it's not the case anymore with these latest Linux against Windows or Mac benchmarks. My theory is that both Windows and MacOS caught up over the last years.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Where performance matters (and that's UI performance and responsiveness), Windows looks great.
                  Only in browser benchmarks. When comes to responsiveness even process management isn't responsive on Windows. Not to mention menu and other core OS parts.

Comment

It's probably too late now that you've wiped the laptop, but for future Windows 11 benchmarks I'd be interested to know whether 'Virtualization-based Security' (VBS) is enabled, since it seemingly has a decent impact on some benchmarks. It would also be neat if the Windows 11 patch number (e.g. 22000.376) could be included in the Phoronix Test Suite summary, given Microsoft has been making some performance-impacting changes in their monthly patches (e.g. the Ryzen L3 cache regression).

Comment

Working...
                    X