Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel i9-12900K Alder Lake Linux Performance In Different P/E Core Configurations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by birdie View Post

Ah, so there are "right" and "wrong" Linux distros and only you know which one to choose.
    You can choose one of the hundreds of Linux distributions (which nobody ever heard about), but it won't make any sense. Don't cry when someone chooses broken copy of Windows from torrent for a benchmark, ok?
    Last edited by Volta; 21 December 2021, 06:09 PM.

Comment

In Linux on the other hand we have the kernel all by itself, the Xorg/WM or Wayland Compositor by themselves and running applications. All of them are not aware of one another altogether.
      This could be easily done by distributions, but I'm not sure about their reasons to not to do so. Look below:

This is further exacerbated by the fact that in Linux you can increase [decrease] your process priority ("niceness"), say 19, but you can never lower it back to the original value, e.g. 0. This sounds almost idiotic to think about that. Why can't you renice it back to 0? In the end you can simply restart it and circumvent this "restriction".
      Maybe in your 'nobody ever heard of' distribution. In Fedora you can do this from system monitor, but to set higher priority you have to provide password. This is because of 'obvious' security reasons.
      Last edited by Volta; 22 December 2021, 06:09 AM. Reason: user password not root

Comment

• Originally posted by Volta View Post

This could be easily done by distributions, but I'm not sure about their reasons to not to do so. Look below:

Maybe in your 'nobody ever heard of' distribution. In Fedora you can do this from system monitor, but to set higher priority you have to provide root password. This is because of 'obvious' security reasons.
        This is doable in Gnome System Monitor (Gnome 41.2 -- Arch) : user can set affinity, lower or increase priority per process; the bird-man as usual lives under a rock and/or has no clue.
        Last edited by Grinness; 22 December 2021, 04:57 AM. Reason: Typo: Gnome System Settings -> Gnome System Monitor

Comment

This is further exacerbated by the fact that in Linux you can increase your process priority ("niceness"), say 19, but you can never lower it back to the original value, e.g. 0. This sounds almost idiotic to think about that. Why can't you renice it back to 0? In the end you can simply restart it and circumvent this "restriction".
          You can decrease the priority of a running linux process to be newer, its just if go down below 0 you need sudo permissions (I think this is due to the fact that the range below 0 is typically for kernel level processes that have higher priority than userspace).

Comment

• Originally posted by Anux View Post
            Not true, i have already debunked this.
            You debunked that the 12900K is terribly inefficient, power hungry, and more expensive than it's worth compared to the much better 12700K? Where?

Comment

• Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
              Birdie is definitely not a Intel/NVIDIA fanboy, he just possess a normal need to defend a certain company and a certain product during 9 page comments thread. Just that - normal need to defend company/product, NOT a fanboy :lol: Anyway.
              Ehh. I honestly don't think birdie is a fanboy of anything he's just a troll who enjoys causing drama.

He carefully targets whatever topics he thinks are popular on the forums and takes the opposing viewpoint, no matter what it is. People like AMD? Birdie will chime in on every topic about how great Intel and Nvidia are compared to them. People like linux? Birdie will tell you how great windows is. People like [insert topic here]? Birdie will type in 100 posts on the topic about how great whatever their competitor is. If the forums ever flip and the majority start talking about how great Intel and NVidia are, I fully expect birdie will start posting about how AMD is actually the best.

Comment

• The only interesting thing in that architecture for me is 8 'still crap' but 64-bit data width E-cores being able to combine into one glorified AVX-512 module. Meaning AVX-512 is nothing more than a bunch of combined ALUs, if not firmware implemented at all.
                Last edited by Alex/AT; 22 December 2021, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

You debunked that the 12900K is terribly inefficient, power hungry, and more expensive than it's worth compared to the much better 12700K? Where?
                  Ahh, sorry. I totally missread your post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grinness View Post

This is doable in Gnome System Monitor (Gnome 41.2 -- Arch) : user can set affinity, lower or increase priority per process; the bird-man as usual lives under a rock and/or has no clue.
                    It seems it's not possible in his noname distribution. Maybe it's just Windows with KDE 3 look taken from torrent.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Ehh. I honestly don't think birdie is a fanboy of anything he's just a troll who enjoys causing drama.

He carefully targets whatever topics he thinks are popular on the forums and takes the opposing viewpoint, no matter what it is. People like AMD? Birdie will chime in on every topic about how great Intel and Nvidia are compared to them. People like linux? Birdie will tell you how great windows is. People like [insert topic here]? Birdie will type in 100 posts on the topic about how great whatever their competitor is. If the forums ever flip and the majority start talking about how great Intel and NVidia are, I fully expect birdie will start posting about how AMD is actually the best.
                      This is such a horrible, completely false, wrong and ignorant description of me, it's simply cringe-worthy.

For the 250th time:
                      • I'm not an effing fanboy, I've never bought anything in my entire life based on my attitude towards any company, I buy products solely based on their merits.
                      • I've criticized both AMD and NVIDIA for their insane pricing policy recently, Intel for stalling progress by rehashing Sky Lake for five years in a row with minimal performance gains.
                      • I have never trolled for Christ's sake
                      • Show me a single message where I say or imply "Intel or NVIDIA are great" - I dare you.
                      If a crowd of fanatics/lunatics mindlessly chooses sides based on what's cool right now, it's their bloody problem, not mine. I loathe half of the people who reply to my messages here, because they act like brainless zealots who believe Open Source is so cool and it makes them unique and special while never contributing to Open Source in any shape or form or believing total nonsense like using Open Source means "more privacy" which is bloody false.

Talking in the third person about me? That's so horribly despicable I've no idea how you're looking in the mirror and not feeling utmost disgust.

And of course, there will be no quotes, because someone just likes crapping on other people. After all, "I'm anonymous and surrounded by like-minded people, so let's collectively insult a person who doesn't act like us".
                      Last edited by birdie; 22 December 2021, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X