Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel i9-12900K Alder Lake Linux Performance In Different P/E Core Configurations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I've seen tons of reviews and disabling E-cores may at most net you a few % FPS boost. I see no "mess" here at all, more like W10/W11 schedulers could be a tad better.
    Having to disable half of your CPU to *gain*performance is nothing short of a clusterfuck IMO.

Comment

Is there a setting somewhere to hide posts by users of my choice? A blocklist. I've seen such features on other forums, it is quite a useful feature. I'll have another look in the settings but haven't spotted it yet. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_marmalade View Post
        Is there a setting somewhere to hide posts by users of my choice? A blocklist. I've seen such features on other forums, it is quite a useful feature. I'll have another look in the settings but haven't spotted it yet. Thanks.
        The setting, Ignore List, is at the bottom of the page: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/settings/account

Comment

Perfect, thank you birdie.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
            Firefox (on Win here but also on Linux) only loads half the page, mostly on brand new articles and says "waiting for TLS hand shake"
            Internetexplorer hangs a good while but manages to load the page in the end.
            load.jpg
            If you give it enough time (10 min maybe?) firefox completes the webpage loading.
            It's loading almost instantly here in Kyiv

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post

Sorry, but you are wrong.

What users expect from a CPU is that it runs all of their software well and not just some of it. These benchmarks show one has to look much closer with Alder Lake than before and one is possibly forced to tweak BIOS settings on Alder Lake systems in order to get the most out of them.

This is definitely not what users want. Geeks and nerds may enjoy experimenting with BIOS settings, but the majority of users and developers expect that it just works and that it does so well. So yes, it is a mess Intel has created here, and it is left to others to sort it out.
              The article clearly shows the best perf and best perf/watt was achieved using the stock configuration. Doesn’t seem to indicate anything is a mess to me. (If you’re gonna comment on an article the least you can do is read it).

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
                From what I can see it looks like a HT'd P-core has about the same performance as a P-core + E-core combo. While there might be some performance left on the table due to suboptimalscheduling, I wonder if a chip with, say, 12 P-cores wouldn't be a better design than this hybrid mess. It probably wouldn't use much more power that 8P+8E chip, it wouldn't need all kinds of software trickery to work properly and AVX-512 would work out of the box. And considering that Sapphire Rapids will have no E-cores, it'd clearly be doable. I get it that Intel needs something to compete against ARM in the mobile segment but this hybrid core idea looks like a step in the Itanium direction. It *might* be more interesting in laptops.
                I wonder this as well. The scheduler issues are significant though. Look at the average power consumption for the two scenarios. P only was 50% more power. That’s significant enough to make me hesitant to compare the performance. Also keep in mind intel said that one P core has the same size as 4(!) E cores

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

The setting, Ignore List, is at the bottom of the page: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/settings/account
                  I tried setting that before for someone, and unfortunately it didn't work. I'm wondering if it might just be for private messages or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Markopolo View Post
                    The article clearly shows the best perf and best perf/watt was achieved ...
                    No, look again. The benchmarks show the opposite. Several of these show clearly that one gains performance by disabling the 8 E cores.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I tried setting that before for someone, and unfortunately it didn't work. I'm wondering if it might just be for private messages or something.
                      This is a known issue with vBulletin - for some users it works, for others it doesn't. I've asked Michael to migrate to something a little bit better maintained, e.g. XenForo, but he declined.

Comment

Working...
                      X