Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel i9-12900K Alder Lake Linux Performance In Different P/E Core Configurations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

It's been rumored that Intel would release midrange ADL chipsets and motherboards in less than 2 weeks.
    Maybe and we will see how that translates to overal system cost. Not much help for arguments that are made now.

Don't tell me AMD doesn't like to rip everyone off as well.
    I never did. They charge whatever they can. I wouldn't by any CPU over 200€ and I hope the prices fall back to normal in a few years. For now I'm good with my old 2400G, heck even my i7-3632QM has enough power for any daily tasks.

Comment

NVIDIA has RTX which alone makes the RTX2000/3000 series a better product no matter what at least on Windows where people actually game. If we're talking about Linux, well, I don't remember the last time I gamed on Linux. I dual boot and W10 is simply impeccable at gaming. Tons of monitoring, overclocking/undervolting, recording apps and everything just works.
      I'm not interested in DLSS or RTX. I'm interested in my Linux desktop running stellar. The gaming is just a bonus. I can always game on a Windows partition, but I can't get that Linux support and performance with NVIDIA.

What you're saying isn't *wrong* persay but you make it seem like everyone should do everything exactly the way you do. That's not gonna fly with many people.

Comment

I've never broken a single computing device in my entire life.

Seasoned people do that all the time:And again I guess less than 5% of users upgrade their CPUs ever, so let's not talk about upgradability and how it makes the AMD platform so much better. It does not.
        I do. It's cheaper to upgrade my CPU than it is to buy a new system. That's literally why I bought into AM4 and bought a 4650G for $250. In another year or two up I'll upgrade to Zen 3 or 4 for $200-$300 instead of paying the premium that y'all are going on about now.

On my last PC I upgraded the CPUs 3 times....6 CPUs in total cause it was a dual socket and the CPUs were dirt cheap by then. On the two PCs before that I did 1 CPU upgrade per PC.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

I'm not interested in DLSS or RTX. I'm interested in my Linux desktop running stellar. The gaming is just a bonus. I can always game on a Windows partition, but I can't get that Linux support and performance with NVIDIA.

What you're saying isn't *wrong* persay but you make it seem like everyone should do everything exactly the way you do. That's not gonna fly with many people.
          I've never told people what to do but Windows as a gaming platform just works. In my W10 installation I only have a couple of applications installed: Steam, Origin, Uplay and Firefox - zero issues for the past 15 years, and I used to run W7/XP/98SE/95OSR2/3.11 earlier. If you like to game under Linux, I'm absolutely fine with that. You may as well buy a tank and ride it to your work :-)

Comment

It's been rumored that Intel would release midrange ADL chipsets and motherboards in less than 2 weeks. The first batch of x570 motherboards wasn't cheap at all and AMD released the B550 chipset if I'm not mistaken almost a year (!) later. Don't tell me AMD doesn't like to rip everyone off as well.

Edit, yes, right:

X570 release date: July 2019
            B550 release date: June 2020

It's amazing that AMD has charged top dollar for the past almost two years now and still everyone here keeps talking about Intel and NVIDIA as greedy companies. AMD bias on Phoronix is simply insane.
            ok, is not an AMD bias but more like the lesser evil birdie.

AMD/Intel/nVidia will charge as much as it can get for product for as long as possible? fuck yes, is a business not a charity and if you expect different well prepare to be disappointed.

Then why AMD get less shit than Intel/nVidia? because those two have pulled every dark dirty anti competitive cheat on the book for decades now and as informed consumer that piss us off while AMD usually on the receiving end of it.

Also AMD business decisions tend to be more pro consumer (like their whole Open approach to everything).

I also think is possible that if AMD stay at the top for too long they may develop these anti competitive behavior that Intel and nVidia have but even when AMD crushed Intel decades ago, they didn't step that low so i kinda trust them a bit more.

Also, as a Linux user i'm completely happy losing 5%-15% IPC and some raytracing power for few months to support a business model that give me an open software stack and stay out of the way to let it grow naturally. (i know RADV is not fully AMD but they didn't tried anything dirty to stop it either)

Comment

I'm absolutely fine with that. You may as well buy a tank and ride it to your work :-)
              That would do wonders to get through lunch and rush hour traffic.

Comment

If you like to game under Linux, I'm absolutely fine with that. You may as well buy a tank and ride it to your work :-)
                Gaming on Linux has come a long way, as you know. And there are some titles that I can get to run better on Linux rather than Windows. And I'm not even talking new games, could be old games with source ports, whatever. Nothing beats Linux, my guy.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                That would do wonders to get through lunch and rush hour traffic.
                This.

Comment

birdie

For the record, AMD is not without scrutiny and The Price Is Wrong for everything. I paid $899 for my PowerColor Red Devil 6700XT at Microcenter, and that apparently is a steal.

Below is a quote from TechPowerUp

According to AMD, the Radeon RX 6700 XT comes at an MSRP of $479—a fantasy that won't last for half an hour. Supply of the AMD reference design is extremely limited, even big shops have only received a handful of units. How much stock AMD is selling on their own site nobody knows, but I'm sure bots will have grabbed it by the time you complete the checkout process manually. Thinking of these fake MSRPs, I'm wondering, shouldn't AMD shareholders start complaining that AMD is not giving them the returns they deserve? Obviously, the market is willing to pay much more for these cards, so why is shareholder money lost by selling too cheap? Another random thought: If you were an AIB with a warehouse full of RX 6700 XT cards, wouldn't it be a REALLY bad idea to sell them now, near MSRP? Just send out a few alibi cards and wait a few weeks before selling them at the real market price.

Comment

I've never told people what to do but Windows as a gaming platform just works. In my W10 installation I only have a couple of applications installed: Steam, Origin, Uplay and Firefox - zero issues for the past 15 years, and I used to run W7/XP/98SE/95OSR2/3.11 earlier. If you like to game under Linux, I'm absolutely fine with that. You may as well buy a tank and ride it to your work :-)
                    Well, although is true Games run on Windows(since they are designed for it) and win10 is less a mess than previous version your assertion is not always true. Sure if you open an game and play it as intended yeah is very likely it will work great and is also true it will run best on nVidia since they strong arm many studios to use only/first their gaming tools and even give them money to make it so.

But when you mod like me Linux is actually better, for example modding Skyrim SE/AE on Windows you will crash at some point due to the single thread from hell(the game for some reason although uses many thread there is always 1 pegging the core 100%) or memory leaks But on Linux Skyrim use the CPU beautifully, never peg that 1 core and for me on RADV never crashes(350+ mods + enb).

Also with Linux you are not tied to whatever hardware Microsoft/Intel/nVidia feel is cool(Threadripper/Multi CPU/many threads systems, etc. etc. game fine on Linux).

Also there for power users Linux is better for gaming for the simple reason is Linux.

Expanding on that for me there is no issues playing a nice MMO or skyrim or whatever on a dual socket E5 Xeon whilst is doing very heavy computation, containers/virtualization, basic develop/design tools, AI inference on secondary GPU, basic service like databases/web server/ reverse proxy, whilst i have several dozens of tabs open on 5 different browsers because i can easily control how those resources are used and be sure there is enough left for my game while other stuff get done in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                      Nothing beats Linux, my guy.
                      Except when seasoned IT pros cannot even get Linux to work:

And funny how r/Linux moderators have locked the thread where people shared their issues with "nothing beats Linux". You, sir, are full of ...LOST CARRIER

Your debugging attempts at wasting time trying to make games run under Linux/Proton/Wine/DXVK are surely appreciated. No irony about that. Valve is especially grateful.

Comment

Working...
                      X