Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel i9-12900K Alder Lake Linux Performance In Different P/E Core Configurations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

The 12700K (recently sold for as low as $300 at MicroCenter) is faster than the 5900X ($500 at Amazon) in lots of benchmarks while costing significantly less and consuming not that much more power.
    In germany one gets the 12700K for 410€ and the cheapest board for 190€ while the 5900X costs 520€ and the cheapest board costs 70€. Since the CPU without board doesn't help too much i guess the price comes out at 600€ vs. 590€

Looks like people on Phoronix:
    • Are actively against competition
    • Are actively against Intel/NVIDIA no matter what (even if it means lower prices for AMD products)
    • Are OK with AMD charging top dollar
    Or they are a little bit more intelligent when it comes to price research.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      In germany one gets the 12700K for 410€ and the cheapest board for 190€ while the 5900X costs 520€ and the cheapest board costs 70€. Since the CPU without board doesn't help too much i guess the price comes out at 600€ vs. 590€

Exactly, he's being incredibly dishonest when it comes to pricing and availability, which is an important variable here. Used the lowest for the 12700K ($300 Microcenter) to the expensive one on Amazon for $500.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        birdie If I chose Alder Lake DDR4, I wouldn't have an upgrade path on a future generation. Zen 3D will be AM4 and I can replace my 5800X if I choose to. I also really enjoy the Zen architecture and their approach. But I'm not knocking Alder Lake, I had a choice and I went with Ryzen and I have zero regrets.

SAM is "supported" and I think NVIDIA claims 3000 series can also leverage BAR/Smart Access Memory but it still works much better on AMD. I can find the sources on this, but just because it's supported, doesn't mean it's at the extent AMD has taken it to.

Power usage can be dealt with, but takes a considerable amount of effort and tinkering. Average user doesn't want to worry about it. Even myself, I didn't want to go from an Intel (Haswell) to another Intel. Zen 3 impressed me from everything I read, and I imagine the next iteration will be even better, as it will be tackling all the lower hanging fruit that Zen 3 didn't get to.

Again, to each their own. Besides, not everyone has access to a Microcenter like me or you to grab these great prices.
        First we started with power consumption, then it was performance, then it was price, now it's upgradability. Grasping at straws much? Also, let's be real: very few people out there ever upgrade their systems. Most run them until getting rid of them completely and then buy a new platform altogether. That's what all of my friends do. Upgrading a CPU for the sake of a small performance boost while risking your CPU and motherboard (both can easily break if you remove the CPU carelessly)? Nope. Upgrading five-ten years later and getting a significant and very palpable performance boost? Yay! I ran the Core i5 2500K for almost ten (!) years and then welcomed the Ryzen 7 3700X.

Here in Russia:

12700K = $511
        5900X = $645

SAM, if you followed the link, shows equal performance gains both on 10900K and Ryzen 5000 series. Your quote/unquote seem quite inappropriate.

If I were to buy a new system right now, I'd go with the 12600K with a DDR4 motherboard. In reality however I will not upgrade any time soon because my 5800X is plenty fast and I won't be able to afford a new GPU now or any time soon.

Comment

It's been rumored that Intel would release midrange ADL chipsets and motherboards in less than 2 weeks. The first batch of x570 motherboards wasn't cheap at all and AMD released the B550 chipset if I'm not mistaken almost a year (!) later. Don't tell me AMD doesn't like to rip everyone off as well.

Edit, yes, right:

X570 release date: July 2019
          B550 release date: June 2020

It's amazing that AMD has charged top dollar for the past two years now and still everyone here keeps talking about Intel and NVIDIA as greedy companies. AMD bias on Phoronix is simply insane.
          Last edited by birdie; 20 December 2021, 12:37 PM.

Comment

birdie

Not grasping at straws, I consider many different things before coming to a conclusion.

I did follow that SAM link you posted. It was good info. I still stand by what I said. AMD support is better. AMD cpu + NVIDIA gpu is still questionable. Intel CPU + AMD GPU, good. That's great for everyone. I don't *not* want that to work to win an argument. I'll try and get those sources for you.

I wouldn't go with 12600K + DDR4, even today if you gave me the option. I like my Ryzen system. Like I said, YMMV. There were certain criteria I was looking for in this build, and Intel didn't satisfy it. Simple as that.

Comment

I also agree here that big little systems are usually very complex to not say a mess even tho the concept is extremely interesting the scheduling is a nightmare and that is not unique to Intel implementation and i honestly believe Intel will jump ship soon enough once they have something else to compete with AMD.

I also agree AMD need to price down Ryzen since their margins are much greater than Intel's at moment but you also have to realize AMD overall is still cheaper if you pick your motherboard right since even first generation motherboards are compatible with Ryzen 5xxx series now.

It is good Intel got a win since competition is great for us but if you are interested in DDR5 i would wait couple of months for AMD AM5 platform and intel refreshments since at moment is a waste of money.

Comment

Um, what did you expect? I see ...
                You do not see in my comment what I expected? Not much point in a discussion then when you are this blind.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                  birdie

Not grasping at straws, I consider many different things before coming to a conclusion.

I did follow that SAM link you posted. It was good info. I still stand by what I said. AMD support is better. AMD cpu + NVIDIA gpu is still questionable. Intel CPU + AMD GPU, good. That's great for everyone. I don't *not* want that to work to win an argument. I'll try and get those sources for you.

I wouldn't go with 12600K + DDR4, even today if you gave me the option. I like my Ryzen system. Like I said, YMMV. There were certain criteria I was looking for in this build, and Intel didn't satisfy it. Simple as that.
                  NVIDIA has DLSS + AI cores + HW RTX implementation (AMD runs BVH on shaders and it shows) which make the RTX2000/3000 series a better product no matter what at least on Windows where people actually game. If we're talking about Linux, well, I don't remember the last time I gamed on Linux. I dual boot and W10 is simply impeccable at gaming. Tons of monitoring, overclocking/undervolting, recording apps and everything just works.
                  Last edited by birdie; 20 December 2021, 05:10 PM.

Comment

... Grasping at straws much? ... while risking your CPU and motherboard (both can easily break if you remove the CPU carelessly)? ...
                    Hm, do I need to comment this? Building a new system has the same "risk". I never managed to break a CPU or board while installing/upgrading and designes in the past were much more delicate. If you regularily break those things, maybe you should buy complet systems or let a professional do it.

Comment

Hm, do I need to comment this? Building a new system has the same "risk". I never managed to break a CPU or board while installing/upgrading and designes in the past were much more delicate. If you regularily break those things, maybe you should buy complet systems or let a professional do it.
                      I've never broken a single computing device in my entire life.

Seasoned people do that all the time:And again I guess less than 5% of users upgrade their CPUs ever, so let's not talk about upgradability and how it makes the AMD platform so much better. It does not.

Comment

Working...
                      X