Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel i9-12900K Alder Lake Linux Performance In Different P/E Core Configurations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volta continues to impress:

1) Almost all reviewers and tech media that have reviewed DLSS and FSR concluded that DLSS is by far the best as long as you have an RTX card, even Hardware Unboxed which has been openly anti-NVIDIA/pro-AMD recently.
    2) I own an AMD system with an AMD CPU (Ryzen 7 5800X).
    3) I've never "hated" AMD. I've expressed my concerns about their pricing (the Ryzen 5000 series and the Radeon RX 6000 series) and bridgman has recently confirmed that perhaps AMD set the pricing a bit too high and greedy. I cannot find the post - it was around two-three months ago or so.

It's amazing you cannot stop hating me but it's you who's simmering with rage :-)
    Last edited by birdie; 20 December 2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

I did not know we had the writer of UserBenchmark here, what a honor
      I don't understand what you're talking about speaking frankly. Any reviews out there which has panned Alder Lake CPUs? Maybe I've missed something? Even on r/AMD people have been impressed with the new Intel CPU lineup.

Yeah, yeah, Linux works poorly with ADL - sorry to break it to you, but close to 99% of PC users in the world don't use this niche OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post
        It would have been infinitely valuable if there was a Ryzen 9 5900X in each of those tests to compare with

Interesting to see the mess the E-cores are in games, something that hardware Unboxed tried to show unsuccessfully
        they were very successful at showing that...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Loading fine here... what isn't loading for you.
          Firefox (on Win here but also on Linux) only loads half the page, mostly on brand new articles and says "waiting for TLS hand shake"
          Internetexplorer hangs a good while but manages to load the page in the end.
          load.jpg
          If you give it enough time (10 min maybe?) firefox completes the webpage loading.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Volta continues to impress:

1) Almost all reviewers and tech media that have reviewed DLSS and FSR concluded that DLSS is by far the best as long as you have an RTX card, even Hardware Unboxed which has been openly anti-NVIDIA/pro-AMD recently.
            If they were as 'honest' as youtube comparison you provided then there's nothing to talk about. :>

2) I own an AMD system with an AMD CPU (Ryzen 7 5800X).
            I own FreeBSD 13, so it's not an argument!

3) I've never "hated" AMD. I've expressed my concerns about their pricing (the Ryzen 5000 series and the Radeon RX 6000 series) and bridgman has recently confirmed that perhaps AMD set the pricing a bit too high and greedy. I cannot find the post - it was around two-three months ago or so.
            Prices are high, but such high Intel's TDP should be taken into consideration. It will be more costly in the long term.

It's amazing you cannot stop hating me but it's you who are simmering with rage :-)
            You're often giving me impression you're biased against something (more often than others ).

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
              A glorified 8 Core CPU in 2021. Hot, power hungry and expensive for not that much power.
              You could have two 5900X running at the same time using the same wattage as one of those bad bois.
              The 12700K (recently sold for as low as $300 at MicroCenter) is faster than the 5900X ($500 at Amazon) in lots of benchmarks while costing significantly less and consuming not that much more power. After setting lower PL1/PL2 limits its power efficiency improves even further.

For instance the below two pictures will instantly tell you that Intel has OC'ed the 12900K to the stratosphere and it can be made extremely power efficient. Why have they done that? They wanted a 12-core CPU to compete successfully with a 16-core CPU. They've almost pulled it off at the expense of an enormous power consumption.

Looks like people on Phoronix:
              • Are actively against competition
              • Are actively against Intel/NVIDIA no matter what (even if it means lower prices for AMD products)
              • Are OK with AMD charging top dollar

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Chrome console screenshot:
                WFM. Also tested using three different geo-checkers:

Comment

birdie The synergy of AMD CPU + GPU was enough for me. I chose 5800X over Alder Lake. Had the choice and had no bias.

Going with 5800X and 6700XT has allowed me to leverage Smart Access Memory (edit: Intel can do this too, see below. However, it's hit or miss and it's not supported in the way AMD does. Point still stands).

Besides, DDR5 is premature and flat out unavailable and the motherboard prices are being sold at heavy premium. Not worth it. I opted for the ultimate DDR4 system with Samsung B-die CL14 memory (with an option to upgrade to Zen 3D if I want) as opposed to paying outrageous prices just to say I'm on the new DDR5/PCIE5/Alder Lake platform.

That's not to say that Alder Lake isn't a beast in terms of performance, but at a signifcant increase in power usage and the side effect of having to cool that thing. My Dark Rock Pro 4 does an awesome job cooling the 5800X. To each their own.
                  Last edited by perpetually high; 20 December 2021, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                    birdie The synergy of AMD CPU + GPU was enough for me. I chose 5800X over Alder Lake. Had the choice and had no bias.

Going with 5800X and 6700XT has allowed me to leverage Smart Access Memory, something I wouldn't have on an Intel platform. I value components that know each other and can take advantage of that. I think that goes further then just brute force performance at times.

Besides, DDR5 is premature and flat out unavailable and the motherboard prices are being sold at heavy premium. Not worth it. I opted for the ultimate DDR4 system with Samsung B-die CL14 memory (with an option to upgrade to Zen 3D if I want) as opposed to paying outrageous prices just to say I'm on the new DDR5/PCIE5/Alder Lake platform.

That's not to say that Alder Lake isn't a beast in terms of performance, but at a signifcant increase in power usage and the side effect of having to cool that thing. My Dark Rock Pro 4 does an awesome job cooling the 5800X.
                    • SAM is supported on all Intel Core CPUs starting with Comet Lake.
                    • DDR5 being or not being premature has nothing to do with ADL CPUs. ADL supports DDR4 and there are tons of high-end motherboards for it with DDR4.
                    • Again, an increase of power consumption can be easily dealt with. Yes, by default the 12900K is power hungry but only in heavy MT scenarios. It's more power efficient than Ryzen 5000 CPUs e.g. in games.
                    • Let's talk about idle power consumption, shall we? My Ryzen 7 5800X idles at 21W, while 12900K idles at around 12W. And it's what my CPU does ~95% of the time.

Last edited by birdie; 20 December 2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

birdie If I chose Alder Lake DDR4, I wouldn't have an upgrade path on a future generation. Zen 3D will be AM4 and I can replace my 5800X if I choose to. I also really enjoy the Zen architecture and their approach. But I'm not knocking Alder Lake, I had a choice and I went with Ryzen and I have zero regrets.

SAM is "supported" and I think NVIDIA claims 3000 series can also leverage BAR/Smart Access Memory but it still works much better on AMD. I can find the sources on this, but just because it's supported, doesn't mean it's at the extent AMD has taken it to.

Power usage can be dealt with, but takes a considerable amount of effort and tinkering. Average user doesn't want to worry about it. Even myself, I didn't want to go from an Intel (Haswell) to another Intel. Zen 3 impressed me from everything I read, and I imagine the next iteration will be even better, as it will be tackling all the lower hanging fruit that Zen 3 didn't get to.

Again, to each their own. Besides, not everyone has access to a Microcenter like me or you to grab these great prices.

Comment

Working...
                      X