Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel i9-12900K Alder Lake Linux Performance In Different P/E Core Configurations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

This may be true but it doesn't have anything to do with the scheduler because Windows 10 (which doesn't have the new scheduler specifically for Alder lake) also beats Linux, this seems to be more due to processor support
    Which was the point I was trying to make. Windows 10 does not have a scheduler specially for Alder Lake but they have experience on BIG.little architectures because of their work on Windows RT and the ARM64 versions of WIndows 10, where all hardware use BIG.little. It's practically a forgone conclusion that this experience factored into their continuous work on the scheduler to the point where Windows 10 for x64 is able to handle Alder Lake as-is.

Comment

• Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

And what skill does it take to compile?.
      Typical remark of someone who has never done so and assumes that takes no skill. Go ahead, build something big like LibreOffice and see everything for yourself. You aren't going to even get past the first compiler error because you don't have the knowledge to do so.

And try telling Gentoo users that compiling their stuff is pointless. Go right ahead. You have shown nothing except your own ignorance and incompetence outside of building a kernel and running pretty benchmarks. Some 'enthusiast'.
      Last edited by Sonadow; 21 December 2021, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I have been running Debian with a custom-built kernel and Mesa on my Apollo Lake Atom laptop for the last three years.
        Two weeks ago I threw Debian out and put Windows 11 on it. The difference in performance is immediately noticeable. Web browsers and other heavy applications like productivity suites no longer randomly stall for a minute when scrolling through >20 tabs or multiple pages in a docx file loaded with lots of images, photos and tables.
        Maybe that was a Debian problem or an I/O-sheduler problem? Especially old Hardware runs generally smoother on Linux (provided there is proper GPU support, but my Debian times are long gone and I can only speak vor Arch Linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anux View Post
          Maybe that was a Debian problem or an I/O-sheduler problem? Especially old Hardware runs generally smoother on Linux (provided there is proper GPU support, but my Debian times are long gone and I can only speak vor Arch Linux.
          If it were a Debian problem it would have gone away after building an up-to-date kernel, and up-to-date Mesa.

Comment

• Sonadow

I compile all the time. If you think that's skillful, it's not. It takes competence, that's all.

Go put on your resume "Knows how to compile software" and let me know how that works out for you.

Comment

Typical remark of someone who has never done so and assumes that takes no skill. Go ahead, build something big like LibreOffice and see everything for yourself. You aren't going to even get past the first compiler error because you don't have the knowledge to do so.

And try telling Gentoo users that compiling their stuff is pointless. Go right ahead. You have shown nothing except your own ignorance and incompetence outside of building a kernel and running pretty benchmarks.
              Gentoo users re-define the compiler/linker flags to tune code to their hardware.
              If you compile from source for debian, without fine tuning flags, you achieve nothing in terms of performance -- surely it remains an interesting thing to do from a knowledge POV.
              BTW, Debian is known for been conservative and favor stability. You should try another distro for desktop usage (or heavily modify it with specific kernels)

Comment

• Originally posted by Grinness View Post

Gentoo users re-define the compiler/linker flags to tune code to their hardware.
                If you compile from source for debian, without fine tuning flags, you achieve nothing in terms of performance -- surely it remains an interesting thing to do from a knowledge POV.
                BTW, Debian is known for been conservative and favor stability. You should try another distro for desktop usage (or heavily modify it with specific kernels)
                -march=native not good enough for you?

Comment

-march=native not good enough for you?
                  I am fine with Arch, compile what I need (e.g. ROCm, pytorch and related packages) with default flags.
                  It is you who is complaining/showing off that you are able to compile thus you have superior understanding ...
                  Do what you want, I don't care

Comment

Which was the point I was trying to make. Windows 10 does not have a scheduler specially for Alder Lake but they have experience on BIG.little architectures because of their work on Windows RT and the ARM64 versions of WIndows 10, where all hardware use BIG.little. It's practically a forgone conclusion that this experience factored into their continuous work on the scheduler to the point where Windows 10 for x64 is able to handle Alder Lake as-is.
                    Well firstly I don't think there is much cross over between ARM64 BIG little and alder lake, or enough for it to be useful

Secondly the mere fact that Windows 10 with Alder Lake is beating Linux is probably demonstrating that we are talking about the difference between general schedulers and/or CPU support rather than hybrid core scheduler specifically.

And its not like Linux doesn't have experience with big little, pretty much all android phones also follow a big/little design.

Comment

• I'm also not sure if there is much to gain by compiling the kernel yourself, apart from newer drivers. Atleast not, if you don't heavily modify it to a specific task. I bet one can find a benchmark here on Phoronix.

Comment

Working...
                      X