Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PapadakosPanagiotis
    replied
    Does anyone know if this clear-out is available also in Europe? Seems to be U.S.A. specific...

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    This is more of an issue with AMD being terrible for mobile graphics up until very recently rather than Lenovo specifically
    I had a very plesant experience with AMD graphics atleast since the "new" driver model.
    Up until a year ago you would be hard pressed to find any laptop that wasn't cheap which had AMD graphics inside.
    There were models like Hp EliteBook that were not cheap (business notebook), but they always had a little drawback to the same model with intel. For example a worse display or no keyboard light, etc.
    Last edited by Anux; 21 December 2021, 07:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by Anux View Post
    I didn't say that they don't exist. Just that in the good old times, you could pick any Thinkpad and you didn't have to worry to break the LAN port or anythig else.
    And it also doesn't need to be thick, look how Dell does it:
    Sure I accept this argument, but I said a few pages ago that Lenovo did add more Thinkpad product lines which target different consumer demographics, and yes some of those lines are cheaper (Yoga) while others are thinner while still have decent build quality (T series).

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

There aren't any P series ThinkPads without Nvidia graphics are there though? My casual search reveals that they all have Nvidia quadros graphics. I would love a P series but don't want to mess with the Nvidia blob on Linux and in the *BSD case, 3 of 4 BSDs do not support the blob in the first place!
    This is more of an issue with AMD being terrible for mobile graphics up until very recently rather than Lenovo specifically

Up until a year ago you would be hard pressed to find any laptop that wasn't cheap which had AMD graphics inside.

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    There are such Thinkpads, its just a different line (i.e. the P series) and you can tell from this image that the LAN port is completely enclosed within the thick chassis
    I didn't say that they don't exist. Just that in the good old times, you could pick any Thinkpad and you didn't have to worry to break the LAN port or anythig else.
    And it also doesn't need to be thick, look how Dell does it:
    IMG_0993.jpg
    Lenovo just don't seem to care about it.

I am sorry but I have little sympathy for people that complain Thinkpad's are less sturdier because they made them thinner and then complain that said thinner Thinkpad's are less sturdy even if bulkier (and certified) Thinkpad's exist, i.e. P series and you willingly buy/use the T series.
    No need to apologize, I don't care if you sympathize with me.

if you want that thick and sturdy Thinkpad then buy the correct series, i.e. P series and stop complaining.
    I was in the market for a Ryzen notebook (14", just APU, no dGPU and a pointing stick) 2 years ago, there wasn't any model from any manufacturer that was a perfect fit. P Series is only > 15" and dGPU. Thats what i was talking about the whole time, Thinkpad had many different lines from 12" super small to 17" high end workstation. Whichever model you chose, you got a sturdy notebook with expandability that poked out of the usual market. There were even T123s models that were much thiner, not so expandable but still sturdy.
    In the end I gave up and bought a T430, its only downside is that its old tech and not superfast like a 8 core Ryzen. But the T430 totally maxed out costed 400€ and a new Thinkpad with many compromises would have been well over 1000€.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    tl;dr if you want that thick and sturdy Thinkpad then buy the correct series, i.e. P series and stop complaining.
    There aren't any P series ThinkPads without Nvidia graphics are there though? My casual search reveals that they all have Nvidia quadros graphics. I would love a P series but don't want to mess with the Nvidia blob on Linux and in the *BSD case, 3 of 4 BSDs do not support the blob in the first place!

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    And you don't think that is worse quality? Why not make the Thinkpad 1.5 mm thicker and have all the pros from now and the past?
    There are such Thinkpads, its just a different line (i.e. the P series) and you can tell from this image that the LAN port is completely enclosed within the thick chassis

I think it was T14 or E14, but every model with such a LAN port is likely to break after a few uses.

I have seen totaly broken Thinkpads, so its definitely possible even with the old ones. You need to try more.
    I am sorry but I have little sympathy for people that complain Thinkpad's are less sturdier because they made them thinner and then complain that said thinner Thinkpad's are less sturdy even if bulkier (and certified) Thinkpad's exist, i.e. P series and you willingly buy/use the T series.

The T14 is one of those thin Thinkpad's that you complain about, and yes if you look at the LAN port for the T14 is not surprising that its not as sturdy (its not fully enclosed in the chassis as I said earlier)

tl;dr if you want that thick and sturdy Thinkpad then buy the correct series, i.e. P series and stop complaining.
    Last edited by mdedetrich; 20 December 2021, 10:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    Yes because with the older thicker laptops its easy to put the entire lanport inside the chassis making it ultra sturdy, with the newer ones they don't have the same amount of space in the chassis so something has to give.
    And you don't think that is worse quality? Why not make the Thinkpad 1.5 mm thicker and have all the pros from now and the past?
    I don't know which model Thinkpad's LAN port broke but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the reason.
    I think it was T14 or E14, but every model with such a LAN port is likely to break after a few uses.
    That being said, I have been using Thinkpad's for decade plus and I am extremely clumsy (talking about accidentally dropping laptops on stairs clumsy) and I haven't had a single Thinkpad, old or new model, break.
    I have seen totaly broken Thinkpads, so its definitely possible even with the old ones. You need to try more.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Not true, i had no old Thinkpad ever where the LAN-port broke just from using it.
    Yes because with the older thicker laptops its easy to put the entire lanport inside the chassis making it ultra sturdy, with the newer ones they don't have the same amount of space in the chassis so something has to give.

I don't know which model Thinkpad's LAN port broke but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the reason.

That being said, I have been using Thinkpad's for decade plus and I am extremely clumsy (talking about accidentally dropping laptops on stairs clumsy) and I haven't had a single Thinkpad, old or new model, break.

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    They are thinner and lighter while not losing that much rigidity/build quality.
    Not true, i had no old Thinkpad ever where the LAN-port broke just from using it.

Also you are greatly exaggerating the decline of build quality, you are making it sound like that the Thinkpad line has turned into bendy el chepo acer laptop
    What about "no difference to business model from XY" did you misread for cheap Acer? I'm not exaggerating, you just don't like my arguments and want to lay words in my mouth.

I never said the modern Thinkpads are bad, just not what they used to be.

Leave a comment:

• sdack
    replied
    Originally posted by arQon View Post
    Assuming I've understood your walloftext this time: are you seriously telling me that Lenovo are claiming this is a 4K system just because it's "capable of" driving a 4K display at a reasonable framerate, but actually just has a 1080p display attached? If so, wow ...
    Sorry if I have made you read more than a line of text! And no, Lenovo are not, as one poster provided a link to the full list of options and an actual 4K display is available for about $1900 in the US. Below that do you get FHD resolution. So Lenovo have it available as an option, which cannot be said about all vendors. Some cheat and they will give you any explanation just to sell you their inferior machines, sadly. This is not exactly new of course, but to some extent does one have to blame search engines, because using trending terms is a common trick to get hits and lying about specs is now more common again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X