Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U Linux Performance

For those looking at upgrading your business notebook this holiday season, here are our first benchmarks of the AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U mobile processor under Linux using a Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Gen2. For ~$1299 USD this holiday season on sale, this Linux-friendly ThinkPad offers a lot with the 8-core / 16-thread Zen 3 processor with Vega graphics, 32GB LPDDR4X 4266MHz system memory, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4K IPS display, and legendary ThinkPad build quality.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Playing with this thing under Ubuntu 22.04 (alpha or whatever they call a prerelease) and it's quite amazing. ACPI now shows you platform power and it is idling at 5.5W with screen at medium brightness. Quite amazing ...

Comment

One thing I'm curious about Michael, is the WiFi module replaceable on this T14S AMD Gen 2, haven't been able to find any info from numerous searches previously?

Comment

Michael I can't see the entire article, it doesn't load
        I am looking for a T14 amd gen2 or a L14 amd gen2, and I would love to see the article

I saw some nasty things about the L14 on Linux, and seems that a bios update solved at least the majority of issues.. like laptop doesn't wake up from suspend, some keyboard keys, press themself, or not respond the keyboard and such..

Here is the major thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=269449
        For that price, I would buy one for sure..

Is there any problems with the site , because previous articles [Featured], doesn't show in my browser recently, I don't know why :/

Comment

and legendary ThinkPad build quality.
          If they're using soldered RAM and other parts they're no where near the same quality of previous generations of Thinkpads. The reason they were popular is because they were also repairable as well as reasonably well supported with legacy ports (mainly RS-232) for interfacing with enterprise and hobby hardware. Lenovo is has been trashing the Thinkpad brand with these low end consumer grade hardware tricks wrapped in a formerly proud business lineup. Wouldn't touch the newer Thinkpads with a 10 foot pole.

Comment

Originally posted by asasione View Post
            One thing I'm curious about Michael, is the WiFi module replaceable on this T14S AMD Gen 2, haven't been able to find any info from numerous searches previously?
            The mediatek WIFI is present I believe in kernels at least 5.12 or 5.15, something like that..
            Last edited by tuxd3v; 14 December 2021, 12:09 PM. Reason: bug

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              The mediatek WIFI is present I believe in kernels at least 4.12 or 5.15, something like that..
              The kernel support isn't what I was interested in, I have a few laptop WiFi modules including a WiFi 6E chip and want to know if I can swap the Mediatek one if I buy this laptop

Comment

Originally posted by asasione View Post
                It is: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/co...st_impression/

Comment

This model looks great! Not available locally, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

If they're using soldered RAM and other parts they're no where near the same quality of previous generations of Thinkpads. The reason they were popular is because they were also repairable as well as reasonably well supported with legacy ports (mainly RS-232) for interfacing with enterprise and hobby hardware. Lenovo is has been trashing the Thinkpad brand with these low end consumer grade hardware tricks wrapped in a formerly proud business lineup. Wouldn't touch the newer Thinkpads with a 10 foot pole.
                    Yep, you can and could always get robust laptops from every manufacturer. Thinkpads stood for versatility, in my T430 I changed the display to IPS, put a quad core CPU in, extended the RAM to 16 GB, already had a fine oversized battery. Try any of that with a later model. You could even choose between CD drive, hard disk or extra battery in your ultra bay. Instead of a docking station one could put a large battery pack under it. Since lenovo bought the Thinkpads it got worse with every generation, to the point where there is no difference to any other "business laptop" apart from its pricing.

And the exchangeable SSD is due to in a few years.

Comment

Working...
                    X