AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anux View Post

Yep, you can and could always get robust laptops from every manufacturer. Thinkpads stood for versatility, in my T430 I changed the display to IPS, put a quad core CPU in, extended the RAM to 16 GB, already had a fine oversized battery. Try any of that with a later model. You could even choose between CD drive, hard disk or extra battery in your ultra bay. Instead of a docking station one could put a large battery pack under it. Since lenovo bought the Thinkpads it got worse with every generation, to the point where there is no difference to any other "business laptop" apart from its pricing.

And the exchangeable SSD is due to in a few years.
    I have one of those and I plan some of the upgrades available. I'm curious, what is the screen model you used in your upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

I have one of those and I plan some of the upgrades available. I'm curious, what is the screen model you used in your upgrade?
      Since it was already installed in another T430 and i just took the assembled Display as whole, i don't know. I'm planing to change the Displayenclosure due to a defekt in on of the closing pins. You could send me a message after christmas, then i wont forget to tell you.

Edit: its not the best display but a good step up from the original. Uneven backlight distribution or clouding is visibly present.
      Last edited by Anux; 15 December 2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Snagged up a Lenovo myself some months ago and as this seems to be a purchase recommendation thread by now I can recommend the "ThinkBook 16p G2 ACH" (20YM000B).

Reasons for me were the better looks than a ThinkPad, the Ryzen Zen 3 R9, 32 GiB RAM and a very nice display. Don't know the current price but then it was a good deal.
        Also supports Battery Conservation Mode (charge only to 60%).
        Linux support is very god, despite the Nvidia dGPU (3060). Looking forward to their progress.

Bad is connectivity and port placement. Also fans ramp up quite often, but this seems to be the case for every Lenovo laptop.

Hope it lasts a while...

Comment

I find it hilarious the people here dumping on Lenovo for apparently killing the thinkpad when they don't even realize that there are multiple thinkpad lines.

Yeah, the newer thinner thinkpads such as the t14s isn't as versatile as the bricks we had int he old days, but if you want a brick thats highly configurable then get a p51 or something along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
            I find it hilarious the people here dumping on Lenovo for apparently killing the thinkpad when they don't even realize that there are multiple thinkpad lines.
            You mean those consumer laptops, that have absolutley nothing to do with Thinkpads, that got the Think* brand slapped on to leverage on the reputation of the old days?
            Yeah, the newer thinner thinkpads such as the t14s isn't as versatile as the bricks we had int he old days, but if you want a brick thats highly configurable then get a p51 or something along those lines.
            Thats not aviable anymore. And you seem to ignore, that the whole Thinkpad lineup stood for versatility not just the Workstation. Beeing a brick also was never a requirement, more so a sacrifice. The latest Thinkpad i had in hand was so thin, that they couldn't fit a proper LAN-port on it. What did those geniuses do? Slapped on something with a "flexible" plastic part, you had to bend to put in your cable. Ofcourse it broke after a few plugs, thats your perfect build quality right here.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
              Snagged up a Lenovo myself some months ago and as this seems to be a purchase recommendation thread by now I can recommend the "ThinkBook 16p G2 ACH" (20YM000B).

Reasons for me were the better looks than a ThinkPad, the Ryzen Zen 3 R9, 32 GiB RAM and a very nice display. Don't know the current price but then it was a good deal.
              Also supports Battery Conservation Mode (charge only to 60%).
              Linux support is very god, despite the Nvidia dGPU (3060). Looking forward to their progress.

Bad is connectivity and port placement. Also fans ramp up quite often, but this seems to be the case for every Lenovo laptop.

Hope it lasts a while...
              Weirdly enough such models like ThinkBook 16P are region locked for some annoying reason, I had no idea that device was even existed till you mentioned it because I use US region for my purchases and it simply isn't there

Comment

Side note and slightly off topic, I finally figured out how to get 5.0 GHz on my strongest core on my 5800X. 46.25 all-core. Prime95 stable. Definitely takes a bit of tuning but it's doable. Most users are better off just PBO Auto, though.

Here's zenmonitor3 after a kernel compile. Love this damn chip.

PBO for example:

Linux has no notion of "fastest core" so it just bounces around. Windows knows which is the fastest and uses that core for all single-core apps.

So I think on Linux, you're probably better off just using PBO Auto and letting all cores get that 4.7-4.85GHz goodness (albeit at 1.45V) and only 4.45GHz all-core, as opposed to maybe 4.6 GHz all-core and 5.0GHz a single core (1.368V or so), but no notion of a fastest core on Linux so some benchmarks might be so slower and you'll have greater variance.

Power usage is x2 btw, to account for the additional threads. So about 145-150W full load.

edit!!!: If there's a will, there's a way

4.65 all-core, 4.925 single-core, almost every core. Someone tipped me off of the following settings that were a game changer:

PPT 200, TDC 88, EDC 120

Once I set it to that, I set everything else back to Auto, then set the Curve Optimizer to Negative 30 all-cores, and that's it.

Last edited by perpetually high; 16 December 2021, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by asasione View Post

Weirdly enough such models like ThinkBook 16P are region locked for some annoying reason, I had no idea that device was even existed till you mentioned it because I use US region for my purchases and it simply isn't there
                  That'd be 20YM0044US I suppose?

Comment

You mean those consumer laptops, that have absolutley nothing to do with Thinkpads, that got the Think* brand slapped on to leverage on the reputation of the old days?
                    If you can't tell the difference between the generic consumer brands that are released (such as the yoga) and proper Thinkpad lines (which evidently have the similar design parameters as the old thinkpad) then there isn't much to add.

I mean newsflash, Lenovo added new product lines, what a crime! They were trying to target different market segments.

Thats not aviable anymore.
                    Uh yes it is

And you seem to ignore, that the whole Thinkpad lineup stood for versatility not just the Workstation. Beeing a brick also was never a requirement, more so a sacrifice. The latest Thinkpad i had in hand was so thin, that they couldn't fit a proper LAN-port on it. What did those geniuses do? Slapped on something with a "flexible" plastic part, you had to bend to put in your cable. Ofcourse it broke after a few plugs, thats your perfect build quality right here.
                    Those thinkpad's still exist, they are just not as popular because surprise surprise, these are more niche consumer segments. Broadly speaking people do actually want thinner and lighter thinkpads, even if they do make sacrifices for what was the traditional thinkpad (which as has been pointed out countless times in this thread do exist under different model names).

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                      Uh yes it is
                      At least not on the lenovo website in Germany.

Broadly speaking people do actually want thinner and lighter thinkpads
                      I know, they wouldn't sell these laptops if the consumers didn't want them.

Whoever had old and new Thinkpads would never say "build quality as always". If you can tell me, what modern Thinkpads do better than other business models from HP, Dell, etc. then do so. Else I stay by it, those Thinkpads have nothing to do with the old ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X