Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    Michael I can't see the entire article, it doesn't load
    I am looking for a T14 amd gen2 or a L14 amd gen2, and I would love to see the article

I saw some nasty things about the L14 on Linux, and seems that a bios update solved at least the majority of issues.. like laptop doesn't wake up from suspend, some keyboard keys, press themself, or not respond the keyboard and such..

Here is the major thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=269449
    For that price, I would buy one for sure..

Is there any problems with the site , because previous articles [Featured], doesn't show in my browser recently, I don't know why :/
    Check your ad blocker, maybe it interfere with the content loading.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

If they're using soldered RAM and other parts they're no where near the same quality of previous generations of Thinkpads. The reason they were popular is because they were also repairable as well as reasonably well supported with legacy ports (mainly RS-232) for interfacing with enterprise and hobby hardware. Lenovo is has been trashing the Thinkpad brand with these low end consumer grade hardware tricks wrapped in a formerly proud business lineup. Wouldn't touch the newer Thinkpads with a 10 foot pole.
      L14 maybe the answer to you, however the LCD display/speaker quality may not be as good as T14; also there are some issue reported with linux previously.

Comment

Originally posted by guspitts View Post
        It looks really good. But on the Lenovo website I don't see that model at $1.3k, rather at $2k. Where do you see such low prices?
        I bet it's black friday price.

Comment

Originally posted by antonyshen View Post

I bet it's black friday price.
          Wasn't on Black Friday but a few days after, but don't recall exactly how they advertised it as what sort of Christmas special. Apparently it was even $1200~1250 on Black Friday itself.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by guspitts View Post
            It looks really good. But on the Lenovo website I don't see that model at $1.3k, rather at $2k. Where do you see such low prices?
            https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapto...g2/22tpt144sa1
            $1,187.40 for 20XF0030US (5650U, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD)
            $1,493.40 for 20XF004UUS (5850U, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
            Maybe that was Black Friday or something.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
              graphics requirements (i.e. because it is an old game) then it can be used to enhance those games to look a little bit better. But this over-sampling comes at a huge performance cost, because the GPU has to ...
              Meh, not really: it's just a blit, same as any other, and even on an igpu the cost is basically zero. You can (and do) burn a ton of SHADER ops trying to make the low-res source "look better", via noisy resamplers etc, but the blit ITSELF is pretty much free.

Back on topic: I like the power usage on this a LOT. If you're compiling code all day, having to worry about power in the late afternoon is a pain in the ass.
              Last edited by arQon; 14 December 2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                Meh, not really ...
                You wish! The GPU literally has to fill 4 times as many pixels (in the case of 4K on FHD), apply textures and shaders 4 times as often, and this costs a lot of performance. Do compare it! Try running a game at the display's native resolution, then at super-resolution, and watch the frame rate drop. It is a neat feature, but it is certainly not free of cost by any means. Only in your dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
                  https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapto...g2/22tpt144sa1
                  $1,187.40 for 20XF0030US (5650U, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD)
                  $1,493.40 for 20XF004UUS (5850U, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
                  Maybe that was Black Friday or something.
                  Hey, thanks for the link. It actually does offer a real 4K display with a native 4K resolution (for a higher price). Nice to know it is not just another fake 4K offer.

Still, this brings me back to my initial concern about the benefits of a 14" 4K display. The 4K display option does however also come with HDR400. So there is that.

Comment

No mention of battery drain during sleep/suspend? my T14 looses 10% overnight in both s3/sI0x sleep modes

Don't listen to anyone recommending an L14, 250nit brightness in 2021 is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
                      Playing with this thing under Ubuntu 22.04 (alpha or whatever they call a prerelease) and it's quite amazing. ACPI now shows you platform power and it is idling at 5.5W with screen at medium brightness. Quite amazing ...
                      5.5 W is not really good, on Windows these laptops reach idle times of 14h and more and work times around 8-10 hours.

I am still happy so far (have a P14s with 5850U and a HP ProBook x360 435 G8) but the power consumption on Linux is really bad compared to Windows. It has gotten better with kernel 5.15 and now 5.16 but it is still very far away from the numbers that are possible on Windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X