Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Kernel Set To Finally Retire AMD 3DNow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

AMD Phenom(tm) 8400 Triple-Core Processor

The slowest processor I have.

I am thinking it could be due to unoptimized SSH daemon (this is openSUSE Leap) or using a cipher which is too complicated for the processor...
    That explains it, Phenom 1 with 2.1 GHz and I have Phenom 2 with 3.2 GHz. The SFTP encryption probably uses only 1 core.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      and we have measure for costs, it's called money. production of energy for old hardware also needs mining and refining
      then you should focus on fixing this problem instead of inventing problems which don't exist
      Unless he runs it off solar energy coming from the top of his house's roof.. popular recently.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
        Unless he runs it off solar energy coming from the top of his house's roof.. popular recently.
        it still can be measured in money. energy for production can also come from solar panels btw

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
          Nobody is suggesting we produce more old ("new old"?) hardware
          nobody was talking about costs of production of it either. i was talking about cost of powering existing old energy-inefficient hardware

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

No it is not. At this point, and with energy prices skyrocketing, it makes no sense to use such an old and power hungry system for that role. The money you are going to save just on electricity alone can pay for even a new budget system.....
            Unfortunately this is not the case unless your new budget system is a used laptop or an OEM PC specifically built for low power. Desktops have idled at about 50 W for like 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              People conveniently ignore that old hardware can be recycled, which saves costs on mining, transporting etc of materials for the new hardware...
              Recycling often costs more (money) than mining.

Comment

Originally posted by Firnefex View Post

Recycling often costs more (money) than mining.
                Might cost more but adds less contamination into environment. Might wanna look up how much fresh water etc gets fouled in process of chip manufacturing..

Comment

Working...
                X