RISC-V Summit 2021 - High Performance Processors, Other Interesting Talks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    The pandemic didn't show up outside China (as far as anyone knew, at the time), or start really affecting supply chains, until about Feb 2020.
    You are right,
    I had looked at the data at Wikipedia, but now I also remember that I saw news in 2019, close to the end of the year, maybe November/December 2019..
    So it has nothing todo with pandemics in 2019
    Of course, silicon demand has been strong since even before the pandemic, but I think it was only in 2020 that TSMC started to have backlogs in excess of 3-4 months.
    We just need to remember that Hundreds of millions of people is now working from Home, and they needed computers, so it was a big push on the Silicon fabs..
    My opinion is that the Semiconductor market was already saturated before,
    The pandemic only exacerbated that and showed that... we need more fabs distributed across the globe..because the future will be full of computers, will be massive in computers..and we need the necessary amount of fabs to produce Silicon products..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
      We just need to remember that Hundreds of millions of people is now working from Home, and they needed computers, so it was a big push on the Silicon fabs..
      Not only working, but also attending school remotely. And before, the kids and parents could all share a single computer, but not if each needs to be on it all day!

Comment

Not only working, but also attending school remotely. And before, the kids and parents could all share a single computer, but not if each needs to be on it all day!
        Indeed.. strange times!

Comment

@PerformanceExpert
          Like you can see, even Phoronix reported about the baikal-m, in 2014!

Comment

Working...
          X