Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Threadripper 3970X Performance On Linux After Two Years

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Threadripper 3970X Performance On Linux After Two Years

    Phoronix: AMD Threadripper 3970X Performance On Linux After Two Years

    A few days ago it marked two years since the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X / 3970X launched. While we are eager to see next-gen Threadripper, for now is a look at how the open-source Linux performance has evolved for these still-impressive HEDT processors by comparing the Linux performance at launch to where it is today with the very latest upstream Linux software.

    https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=30726

  • #2
    Wow, the main takeaway for me is that it's been on the market two years, without a successor! I get that the supply/demand situation has been crazy, but that's still surprising to read.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by coder View Post
      Wow, the main takeaway for me is that it's been on the market two years, without a successor! I get that the supply/demand situation has been crazy, but that's still surprising to read.
      Take it easy, no competition in sight ;-)

      Comment


      • #4
        Wonder if the zen 3 TR will skip straight to 3d cache chips, that will surely put it well ahead of its predecessor far more than the l3 cache unification / ccx expansion.

        Zen 3 vs zen 2 is on average about 20% faster, maybe 15% on full pipeline saturation. V cache outta squeeze another 10-15%. It would be nice and logical to see the two improvements stacked together, given amd's one year hiatus in the segment.
        ddriver
        Senior Member
        Last edited by ddriver; 03 December 2021, 11:17 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ddriver View Post
          Wonder if the zen 3 TR will skip straight to 3d cache chips, that will surely put it well ahead of its predecessor far more than the l3 cache unification / ccx expansion.

          Zen 3 vs zen 2 is on average about 20% faster, maybe 15% on full pipeline saturation. V cache outta squeeze another 10-15%. It would be nice and logical to see the two improvements stacked together, given amd's one year hiatus in the segment.
          As a TRX40 owner I really hope so.
          But I think it was said (or leaked) that we will only see Zen3 Threadrippers for TRX40 somewhere in February.
          Zen3 + 3D cache will probably only make it into Epyc and non-Threadripper CPU's.

          Comment


          • #6
            Man, there must still be so much perf from Zen being left on the table. This test will be interesting to see once io_uring work from 5.16 is factored in + the "Adjust NUMA imbalance for multiple LLCs". Michael, it'll be even more interesting to see this article revisited in April 2022 when Ubuntu 22.04 LTS gets minted.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MastaG View Post
              Zen3 + 3D cache will probably only make it into Epyc and non-Threadripper CPU's.
              Why? TR is the smallest segment, and it comes at premium margins, seems fairly obvious choice and easy to prioritize.

              Amd could easily have launched a new TR if it was vanilla zen 3. The timing strongly hints they are waiting for v cache.

              Furthermore, if they launch 12 and 16 core ryzen with v-cache and it has pronounced enough effect on performance, it will make an even later launched vanilla zen 3 TR look diminished and with lackluster IPC.

              I wouldn't be surprised if TR is v-cache skus entirelly. It is their halo product, top performance, to deny it the advantage of v cache defies all logic and reason. Why would amd want to diminish its top performance.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by coder View Post
                Wow, the main takeaway for me is that it's been on the market two years, without a successor! I get that the supply/demand situation has been crazy, but that's still surprising to read.
                AMD makes a lot less profit with TR relative to Epyc, so as long as they keep selling everything they make, they have no incentive to make TR variants. Even the Zen3 Ryzens aren't really getting any cheaper, even on Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kozman View Post
                  Man, there must still be so much perf from Zen being left on the table.
                  How did you compute that "there must still be so much perf from Zen being left on the table"? The article does not contain any information about CPU core utilization while running the benchmarks, nor does it contain any information about the differences between single-threaded IPC (instructions per clock, benchmark runs with 1 thread) and multi-threaded IPC (benchmark runs with the number of threads that achieves maximum benchmark score (the optimal number of threads might be smaller than the 64 threads available on 3790X)).
                  atomsymbol
                  Senior Member
                  Last edited by atomsymbol; 03 December 2021, 02:53 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I’d love to see updated comparison between this CPU’s performance and other AMD and Intel desktop CPUs.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X