Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazon Announces C7g AWS Instances Coming Powered By Graviton3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Amazon Announces C7g AWS Instances Coming Powered By Graviton3

    Phoronix: Amazon Announces C7g AWS Instances Coming Powered By Graviton3

    Amazon Web Services today shared that C7g instances are coming powered by Graviton3, their next-gen in-house AArch64 processors...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...nces-Graviton3

  • #2
    Are these processors available for purchase? I wish they were...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Are these processors available for purchase? I wish they were...
      I think not, but I wish they were.
      I think Alibaba made some high-performance open source RISC-V CPU too, but also not available for purchase.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Are these processors available for purchase? I wish they were...
        Graviton isn't which is the point, however you can buy Ampere Altra CPUs using the same Neoverse N1 core as Graviton 2 but with 25% more cores and 32% higher frequency.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by PerformanceExpert View Post
          you can buy Ampere Altra CPUs using the same Neoverse N1 core as Graviton 2 but with 25% more cores and 32% higher frequency.
          Awww... please tell us something we don't know, like what kind of core these are using! I'm sure you have some ideas about that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by coder View Post
            Awww... please tell us something we don't know, like what kind of core these are using! I'm sure you have some ideas about that.
            just saw speculation of it being N2

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by boxie View Post
              just saw speculation of it being N2
              That doesn't fit with it offering only 25% speedup, though. It could, but that's a little low, according to what ARM has said. Here's ARM's performance analysis, assuming the same manufacturing process and clock speed.


              Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16640...-cmn700-mesh/6

              So, Amazon would either be seriously low-balling the performance or else they actually dropped the clock speed by 5% or so. And Graviton 2 already ran at a relatively low clock speed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by coder View Post
                That doesn't fit with it offering only 25% speedup, though. It could, but that's a little low, according to what ARM has said. Here's ARM's performance analysis, assuming the same manufacturing process and clock speed.


                Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16640...-cmn700-mesh/6

                So, Amazon would either be seriously low-balling the performance or else they actually dropped the clock speed by 5% or so. And Graviton 2 already ran at a relatively low clock speed.
                I think the advertised perf uplift has been lowballed - that and AWS will be wanting to keep power low for $ reasons if they can

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by coder View Post
                  Awww... please tell us something we don't know, like what kind of core these are using! I'm sure you have some ideas about that.
                  V1. It’s 8-wide like V1, and SVE, not SVE2.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by name99 View Post
                    V1. It’s 8-wide like V1, and SVE, not SVE2.
                    Ah, yes. For some reason, it didn't even occur to me they'd use V1 cores. I guess probably because I think of Graviton as their main cloud workhorse, whereas V-series seems like more of a HPC-type core.

                    At the very least, I'd have expected them to use some special designation, like calling them Graviton 3c, because it'll be awkward when they introduce a N2-based CPU that further increases integer performance but actually reduces FPU (per-core, at least). And given the area- & power- efficiency advantages of N2, I'm sure it's coming.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X