Updated AMD P-State Driver Posted For Improving Linux Power Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated AMD P-State Driver Posted For Improving Linux Power Efficiency

Phoronix: Updated AMD P-State Driver Posted For Improving Linux Power Efficiency

A fourth iteration of the AMD P-State CPU frequency scaling driver patches for Linux have been sent out for review and testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great. Is this patch still zen3-only or is the zen2 support turned on already?

Comment

Originally posted by bezirg View Post
      Great. Is this patch still zen3-only or is the zen2 support turned on already?
      there's nothing inherently zen3 specific about it. bios must provide "sane" cppc tables, and either have a cpu which has the amd cppc capability bit set (4000G for example) or the pcc mechanism.
      It works for me on 4750g out of the box; on the 5950x it needs to be force enabled with "amd_pstate.shared_mem=1"

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

there's nothing inherently zen3 specific about it. bios must provide "sane" cppc tables, and either have a cpu which has the amd cppc capability bit set (4000G for example) or the pcc mechanism.
        It works for me on 4750g out of the box; on the 5950x it needs to be force enabled with "amd_pstate.shared_mem=1"
        I have the 4700u, is there a way to check if this is activated?
        And if not, is it just a kernel parameter to pass?
        Or do I also need to tell my system somehow to drop cpufreq governors and use this instead?

Comment

if you have "amd_cppc" in /proc/cpuinfo after applying this patchset, the driver should work out of the box on 4700u (which is also renoir, so my guess is yes).
          Also file "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_driver" should contain "amd-pstate" if your bios is also fine.
          On an idle system you should see a lot of cores at around 500MHz instead of 2000MHz as is with acpi-cpufreq.

Comment

Very cool. Valve found the way to work around AMD's inability to manage software teams: hold their hand through everything. :+ )

Comment

amdgpu + dc is still ~entirely maintained by AMD only, and I think very successfully (though Valve surely will provide feedback or perhaps even MRs for the Steam Deck). CPU clock governors is a different domain, situation is just sucky on Linux in general and I can imagine that collaboration with AMD could be better than it would be with Intel. Some company needs to tell Intel that intel_pstate=powersave is atrocious garbage...

Comment

Build as module, I get
                Code:
                ERROR: could not insert 'amd_pstate': No such device
                when trying to load it.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
                  Build as module, I get
                  Code:
                  ERROR: could not insert 'amd_pstate': No such device
                  when trying to load it.
                  either your bios has buggy cppc tables, or you need to modprobe it as "modrobe amd-pstate shared_mem=1"

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
                    if you have "amd_cppc" in /proc/cpuinfo after applying this patchset, the driver should work out of the box on 4700u (which is also renoir, so my guess is yes).
                    Also file "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_driver" should contain "amd-pstate" if your bios is also fine.
                    On an idle system you should see a lot of cores at around 500MHz instead of 2000MHz as is with acpi-cpufreq.
                    True:

Setting amd_pstate.shared_mem=1 wasn't necessary here, but that could be because of xanmod's kernel.
                    Last edited by reba; 19 November 2021, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X