Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Updated Zen 3 CPU Microcode (November 2021)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases Updated Zen 3 CPU Microcode (November 2021)

Phoronix: AMD Releases Updated Zen 3 CPU Microcode (November 2021)

A new Family 19h microcode binary was merged today into the linux-firmware.git repository that serves as the central source for all of the binary firmware/microcode files for Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's an alarming situation that the first question that came to my mind after reading this piece of news was not "what bugs were fixed", but "how bad is the performance impact".

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
      It's an alarming situation that the first question that came to my mind after reading this piece of news was not "what bugs were fixed", but "how bad is the performance impact".
      Yeah, maybe you should review your priorities.

Comment

It's really annoying that there are no good or none at all changelogs for this stuff - microcode, Agesa, BIOS updates. I'm getting more and more angry at those crappy manufacturers.
        Unfortunately there doesn't seem a solution for these problems for consumers :-( I'd gladly pay 100 €$ more for a motherboard that is well supported on Linux (open spec sheets, no ACPI conflicts, coreboot support, good changelogs, ...), but nobody offers such stuff.

Comment

Quite embarrassing that AMD haven't published any change log. 👎

Comment

To be fair, when AMD and intel release these CPU updates, they are not released to end users. They are released to the OEM's that make the motherboards and BIOS implementations. Whether or not the system/mobo manufacturer publishes a change log is up to them, although there may be NDA's involved so their hands may be tied in this regard.

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
              It's really annoying that there are no good or none at all changelogs for this stuff - microcode, Agesa, BIOS updates. I'm getting more and more angry at those crappy manufacturers.
              Unfortunately there doesn't seem a solution for these problems for consumers :-( I'd gladly pay 100 €$ more for a motherboard that is well supported on Linux (open spec sheets, no ACPI conflicts, coreboot support, good changelogs, ...), but nobody offers such stuff.
              I hear you...i so much hear you...
              It really is a scandal that so much blobs are needed to use modern hardware properly

Comment

Working...
              X