Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.16's New Cluster Scheduling Is Causing Regression, Further Hurting Alder Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a conspiracy, i say, to make Intel look bad on Linux!. If people can claim that MS is purposely messing with Ryzen, such as was claimed when AMD introduced the 3990X and now with Win 11, then I can claim that this is done on purpose to sabotage Alder Lake on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by lethalwp View Post
      i wonder, since it s a desktop, should nt we just ignore E cores and go full perfs?
      Pretty much, yeah. There isn't really anything fundamentally "wrong" with the concept, but it's far from unreasonable to say that you have no interest at all in running gimped cores to save a miniscule amount of power, when all that silicon could have gone to larger caches etc instead.

Even the now-ancient SpeedStep/EIST/etc already provides analogous behavior: idle cores are cut down to half speed or less, with a corresponding reduction in power draw, and completely idle cores can even power-gate - but they're ALL still *capable* of actually performing well, unlike the E-cores. On a *desktop* CPU I'd much rather see improvements in the gating etc than have half the cost of my CPU going to pay for garbage cores that are literally useless for half the things I want a PC to do.

Comment

Can somebody (perhaps Michael) with access to an Alder Lake box and a fresh kernel run:

Code:
        grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpu_capacity
        so we can see if Intel actually got around to hooking their shiny new CPU up to the proper infrastructure?

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
          the best way to improve multi-threaded performance is to add more small cores. Meaning dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of them (server).
          Why is that?
          Is it because of the cost on context switch and alike?

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

Pretty much, yeah. There isn't really anything fundamentally "wrong" with the concept, but it's far from unreasonable to say that you have no interest at all in running gimped cores to save a miniscule amount of power, when all that silicon could have gone to larger caches etc instead.

Even the now-ancient SpeedStep/EIST/etc already provides analogous behavior: idle cores are cut down to half speed or less, with a corresponding reduction in power draw, and completely idle cores can even power-gate - but they're ALL still *capable* of actually performing well, unlike the E-cores. On a *desktop* CPU I'd much rather see improvements in the gating etc than have half the cost of my CPU going to pay for garbage cores that are literally useless for half the things I want a PC to do.
            It's not just about power reduction. The die space of 1 P-core is about 4 E-cores. So you can either have an additional 2 P-cores, or 8 E-cores. Intel believes that you will get more multi-threaded performance from the 8 E-cores. If everything is working properly, an 8+8 i9-12900K would beat a hypothetical 10 P-core (Golden Cove). This could actually be tested by disabling cores. Disable two P-cores and test a 6+8 configuration, then disable eight E-cores and test 8+0. If 6+8 tends to beat 8+0, then it shows that the Alder Lake approach makes sense.

If you don't want to pay for E-cores, Intel has got you covered (for this generation at least) with the smaller die that will be used in several CPUs including a 6-core i5-12400, quad-core i3-12300 and i3-12100, and apparently a dual-core Pentium G7400. If your PC is only doing lightly threaded tasks, you could be just fine with even the Pentium. Those CPUs will probably be announced in January at CES 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              Why is that?
              Is it because of the cost on context switch and alike?
              If you run software that can use many cores, and the smaller cores offer more multi-threaded performance per unit of die area, then the answer to increasing is to keep on adding small cores. The big cores are there to handle tasks that can't be parallelized. 6-8 big cores is still plenty for most users.

Alder Lake is 8+8 for the Core i9.
              Raptor Lake will have 8+16 for the Core i9.
              A future Lake (possibly Meteor or Arrow) is rumored to have 8+32 for the Core i9.

The trend is clear. Maybe the big core count will also go up, so you could see 12+64 or 16+256 after a few generations.

Comment

Do note that the die space of 1 Colden Cove is estimated to be about equivalent to 2 Milan(full Zen3) cores.
                And that the Renoir core (cache reduced zen2) is about half the size.

Meaning 1 E core is about the size of a Renoir core, which makes it not that small.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post

They are not gimmicky for Christ's sake. Their power efficiency is a lot higher than P-cores, which means they are an extremely good fit for heavy MT tasks. In fact it's been rumored that Intel wants to have more of them in Raptor Lake. And AMD has been rumored to have them in Zen 5.

Of course if you don't care about MT performance you may not want them at all and Intel has got you covered, 12500, 12400 and other ADL CPUs won't have e-cores at all.
                  reasonably sure p cores are waaay more efficient than e cores when run at the same frequency.
                  its a gimmick calling them 12 core cpus when they are basically a 6 core cpu with a raspberry pi or two strapped on.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

reasonably sure p cores are waaay more efficient than e cores when run at the same frequency.
                    its a gimmick calling them 12 core cpus when they are basically a 6 core cpu with a raspberry pi or two strapped on.
                    Multiple reviews show you're completely wrong but nowadays it's just fine to say whatever BS you want as long as it's called an opinion.

Comment

Looks like one big cluster f*ck.

Comment

Working...
                      X