X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avem
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    So I guess Intel's work on Linux is just for show and keeping the community alive, but nothing more.
    There's always *one* feature that Intel does on Windows first, for whatever reason.

Even worse, they got cooler names on Windows (Quick Sync, Turbo Boost, Thread Director, etc.), while what do we get on Linux? VA-API, intel_pstate, i915...
    Turbo Boost doesn't need OS support to work but yes their Windows drivers are leaps and bounds better than Linux' just like AMD's and NVIDIA's.

Leave a comment:

• avem
    replied
    Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    So the alder lake drivers for linux are gimped? good to know.
    There's no such thing as "drivers" for the CPU.

At most we're talking about the code to deal with the instruction set and the scheduler (which is architecture agnostic) to choose proper cores for running tasks - the latter is actually what the issue is about.

Leave a comment:

• krzyzowiec
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus
    That's why my new PC, that will arrive next month if shipping isn't delayed somehow, has an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X.

My first AMD in, like, forever. (the last time I had one was many years ago when the proprietary Radeon drivers were always slow and broken on Linux)
    You will love it. I’ve had it since release and I’ve been blown away by how quick and efficient it is. It just feels like overkill to me now. I actually would rather wait like five or ten years for something special on my next upgrade, like a new architecture or something, because I just don’t see myself needing more performance for a long while.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Termy View Post

It's hard for me to believe MS would give source access to outside parties tbh...
    They've done so for quite some time. I think governments were the first to demand access to the source code, for obvious security reasons.

Now there's a whole program around it, and it doesn't sound like it's that difficult to qualify.

Edit: That doesn't mean I think Intel did the work, though. I think it was still Microsoft, though they probably worked with Intel developers together.

Leave a comment:

• Termy
    replied
    Originally posted by pete910 View Post

I think it was Intel that did the work .
    It's hard for me to believe MS would give source access to outside parties tbh...

Leave a comment:

• Scellow
    replied
    Very fishy results.. i wouldn't say there is a sabotage somewhere, but i'm close

As other pointed out, take a look at this interesting article:

Could it be related to the AVX-512 instructions, is there some sort of special treatment on windows? is that even possible?

The gap on the selenium benchmark is kinda suspicious

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrispynut View Post
    So, this one (Aorus Pro)? https://youtu.be/C0pluVy5EFg (though (un)fortunately, it's DDR5)
    That's the one I have bookmarked (there's a DDR4 version, too). It's not available over here yet, I'll have to check the markup once it's listed.

Leave a comment:

• pete910
    replied
    Originally posted by Termy View Post
    Funny how Microsoft manages to cope well with something so fundamentally different in scheduling like AL right from the start, but completely messed up more or less small changes with the different ryzen-generations over and over again and took ages to fix the issues...
    I think it was Intel that did the work .

Leave a comment:

• Termy
    replied
    Funny how Microsoft manages to cope well with something so fundamentally different in scheduling like AL right from the start, but completely messed up more or less small changes with the different ryzen-generations over and over again and took ages to fix the issues...

Leave a comment:

• fractalmess
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post

Save from what? It's nearly as much insecure as Windows and even slower. The only thing that 'saves' it is hardware.
    Insecure? Cant remember the last time i had a virus on my pc since 28 years. No one knows more about security than Microsoft, given their history and constant threat to Windows. Windows is built like an armored tank.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X